Thread: Timing belt change. Can I do this??

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Timing belt change. Can I do this??

Hi, I am about to change my timing belt as the car has run about 51,000kms already.

Do I really have to replace those 2 rollers on the engine and the water pump??

I am planning just to change the Belt tensioner and the Belt to save a few $$

Thanks for any reply.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's odds on that if you try and save a few £s you'll regret it. The water pump is prone to get noisy or fail just after a cambelt change. This I think is because the new belt puts the bearing on the pump under much greater pressure than the old belt. As the pump is less than £25 to replace its false economy to skimp on replacing it.

As for the rollers you'll save a few £s by not replacing them but again it's false economy, get the kit which comes complete with belt and rollers. You can get them on E-Bay for less than £40 if you look around.

What engine are we talking about here?

Oh and you'll probably need camshaft locking clamps, factor the price of 2 of those into your equation. Around £25 for the pair. You don't need them as you can cheat and use mole grips but it's a cowboy way of doing it.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.