AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Strange Noises

Hi guys.

my 1.6 16V is making a strange noise.

The noise is a sort of rattling, scraping noise. (also the odd "pigoen" type sound)

it is coming from the cambelt side of the block sounds like it is coming from the top towards the bulk head.

I removed the aux belt today and turned the engine over and the noise is still there therefore it is not anything to do with the auxerialy drive.

the cambelt was changed in march last year and the invoice states a cambelt kit.

what can be causing this noise??

it has been present for quite a while now and at first i thought it was either the alternator bearings or the aux belt tensionor but its neither of these.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    have been told by vauxhall that the water pump bearings that are ****ed.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    was this expensive to sort? Mine has been making the same noise as you've described for the past couple of months now.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    not sorted yet.

have ordered the parts £70 from autovaux this included:

water pump £20.95
    Antifreeze 5L £8.47

both of which are vital to the job.

also got

timing belt £18.97
    Alternator belt £5.10

plus VAT.

you do not need an aux belt but i thought as i'm taking that part of the car apart i might aswel replace it.

also it it adviseable to replace the timing belt at least (you can re-fit the original belt).
    I would recomend getting a full timing belt kit (which included tensioners etc) but my timing belt (full kit) was only changed last march so i have got a warrenty on the part so if they need replacing it will get sorted free of charge if they need replacing.

i will let you know how it went on sunday.
    also see this thread.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers mate, I might just take it to Hartwells on Saville Steet, as I know one of the mechanics there (he does all my servicing etc) and see what he thinks about the noise, as it's exactly as you described.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by matt1206
    cheers mate, I might just take it to Hartwells on Saville Steet, as I know one of the mechanics there (he does all my servicing etc) and see what he thinks about the noise, as it's exactly as you described.

This is one place that me and my car will be staying well clear of.

i asked them to replace my water pump when they did the cambelt to which they said ok.

went to pick the car up at the end of the day to be told oh we didn't change your water pump as it looked to be ok.

also messed me about with my MOT last week aswell.

If you know someone there then you should be ok but i'm never trusting them with any of my cars again.

I'll keep you posted as to how it goes.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    just to report back:

got it all fixed and now the noise has stopped .

job went without a hitch really.

my only tip would be mark the old water pump and the rear cambelt cover then place a mark in the same place on the new water pump housing to aid in realgining the waterpump. this will mean that you do not need to reove the rear cambelt cover just make sure that the washers go behind the plastic cover when refitting.

Although i'm not sure how the guys that fitted my cambelt last year could say that the water pump wasn't kanacerad and that it had no leaks as its been leaking like a ****er for ages. we over a year by the colour of the encrusted antifreeze which had quite a lot of blue in it and the car has had red then green antifreeze in for the past year so it would have been leaking when they replaced the cam belt. and they obviouslty couldn't be bothered to clean the area either.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J SE 2.0CDTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    some mechanics cant be trusted imo, wernt all sure on the place i had the head done on the mk3 was all that good....didnt manage to seal my zorst very well, then they did it again....bungin loads of sealer in and not tightening it up right....although im not sure if the studs being loose were down to them....as i had all the down pipe off and they wernt tight when i come to do it myself.
    Sorted it all out..myself then it started blowing slightly again.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A5TRA 59ORT

This is one place that me and my car will be staying well clear of.

i asked them to replace my water pump when they did the cambelt to which they said ok.

went to pick the car up at the end of the day to be told oh we didn't change your water pump as it looked to be ok.

also messed me about with my MOT last week aswell.

If you know someone there then you should be ok but i'm never trusting them with any of my cars again.

I'll keep you posted as to how it goes.

The sales staff are idiots thats for sure! When I bought my car I had it back for a full repsray at the cost of the sales staff because of the state of the car when I bought it, and loads of false promises!

Also went to see what they would give me for mine, having paid £8k for it in July 2004, went back July 2005, £3.4k! WTF! They asked me how much I was paying for it, and they said "Oooh, thats a bit expensive" WELL YOU SOLD IT TO ME YOU ROBBING B@57@RDS!