Thread: Its Tight In Here!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Its Tight In Here!

hey guys, was wondering if anyone can help, ive been avised that i need a second battery for my install and new alternator too! just a few things really!

1. Ive heard that obth batterys need to be exactly the same otherwise the alternator screws up! is this true or can they be different makes and ratings? (both are still 12v though )

2. Theres is no room watso ever in the boot! Its a very tight squeze, is there anyone that has mounted a second battery elsewhere in the car, i.e engine bay, ive looked but thats quite tight aswell! Ive got a Mk4 SXI 1.6 16v Ecotec, pictures would be nice too hehe

Thanks for any help fellas

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    make room in the boot no point in using it all up with ice if theres nout to power it
    Astra Sxi 1.6 X-reg 3dr in polar sea blue

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    they can be different amp ratings, but best to have a split charger, caravan place is your best bet for one of these and advise on fitting one! try make space in the boot if not just fit a bigger battery, with uprated alternator and a couple of power caps!!!

MK4 1.8 16V Sport and MK5 CDTi Estate

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    My brother runs a heavy duty VX battery up front with a optima yellow top on it's side at the back with no problems. He also had his alternator reworked so it now runs at 200 Amps and of course he runs a split charge system

He does run a fair bit of ICE and i'm having no problems with my 3 amps on a standard battery and alternator

What system are you running so maybe someone can advise you here?
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What is the system you are running exactly? You could just do with a decent battery (maybe an Optima) and some heavier gauge wiring.
    8 Astras in a row! Can Anyone Beat That?
    Star Silver Astra Sporthatch SRi XP 1.9 CDTi (150PS)
    A Vauxhall site about Vauxhalls.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What are you running in your boot???? I have a 18 inch Kicker Solo X 2500i Amp in my boot another amp hidden to power all my components and am thinking of getting a power cap because of the power its consuming but have been told that should be oki or more than enough for my system. Please enlighten me as my boot is pretty much full too - the box for the sub having to be built inside it and fibreglassed but if you have as little room as you say you have what are you running in there????

Bobby

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    One more question....... Seen pics of your car love the courtney translplant could you possibly tell me how long it took to do etc... n cost involved n what you done??? I'm planning one on my coupe! thank you!!!!

Bobby

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    wow, sounds like im being muged then if you guys can run all that! at the moment im running 2 x 12" 300w rms alumapro alchemy mx subs, running at 1.5 ohms, installed in tuned bandpass box, 1 x (1000w rms into 1ohm) Helix Dark Blue 2-Channel Digital Amp, 1 set of HXS 136 Esprit compnents up front & 1 set of HXS 135 Esprit components at the back 1 x crappy 1600w max amp (off ebay) 4 channel to run all door speakers, pair of cheep 300w max 6 x 9's on shealt and 500w max SPLX amp to run those, 1 farad cap, PS2 with invertor, numouros disp blocks. Most installed in fibre glass. Ive already brought an upraded battery but not installed it yet, was just wondering about this split charging system. because when i went to get the headunit installed (Alpine IVA310 RB) they said with the amount of stuff being run that split charging would be required, then i did find it a bit suspisous when they tried selling me the battery and alternator on the spot, but thought i would come check with you guys first! oh and bob, i dnt see how you've seen pics of my car, as the only pics ive posted have been ones ive found, sorry to anyone who's pic they are, hope you dnt mind! so sorry cant help you there!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    lol. A normal battery with decent wiring would be fine running that lot and more. I'm running an amp capable of 1000wRMS off a stardard battery setup.
    8 Astras in a row! Can Anyone Beat That?
    Star Silver Astra Sporthatch SRi XP 1.9 CDTi (150PS)
    A Vauxhall site about Vauxhalls.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yea im running all that off the standard vx battery at the moment, but the headlights go crazy, dash goes extreamly dim! so maybe it is the wiring, i think what im using is 4 guage cabling to the disp block, then 8 guage to the amps. Is that any good as wiring goes? Also i dnt know if these has anything to do with anything but my cap is installed just before the disp block, when most people have it before the amp, does this make a difference at all?