Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

rear brake binding query

Hey Guys

my names Andy, im 20 from Fleet in Hampshire. Had a 2.5 v6 vec cos of the insurance and running costs i was forced to get a smaller car so i got a little 1.8 astra saloon.

I got the astra just over 2 months ago and so far the alternators gone on it and the rear brakes have completely stuck - all this in 2 months on a car thats just hit 35k on the clock (its a T reg btw)

I have replaced the parts, but when I had the car in having the brakes done vauxhall told the mechanic who was doing it that this was a common problem - is there no recall or anything?

Also vauxhall told the mechanic that as he was replacing the bosch calipers with lucas ones he would have to completely change the handbrake cable as it was a different fitting to the calipers.

Does anyone know if there was ever a recall on this or anything as I would like to make a claim as its a common problem and cost about 500squids all in!

Cheers for any advice, great site by the way

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    welcome the site matey.if no one on here can give you any info on the matter you could try ringing vauxhall customer services and they should help you out.
    2001 mk4 astra cabriolet (without the sunshine option)

injured in an accident in the last 2 1/2 years?
    be more carefull next time dickhead

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok mate cheers, I was hoping to get some info before ringing vaux cust services because I know that if I have no precident then they wont help me at all.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    hi mate i have a v reg car and i had it fixed for vauxhall when the astra was 3 years old all for free new pads an disc's as well

if you have to pay for it your self i can get the lucas calipers for about £100 a set used from a mate they work fine

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Andy and welcome to AstraSport.

Bosch rear calipers are notouious for this, however Vauxhall never did a mass recall on them, but there was a modification on them (changing to over Lucas Calipers) - these were only done as and when individual owners complained to dealers.

As your car is out of warrenty now, you might not have much luck getting a freebie solution, but it's always worth a try. Give VX customer services a bell on 01582 427200.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    i only got mine done as i get on very well with my loco dealer
    my dad sends all the office company cars there so they look after me
    if you get on with your dealer an the car has a full vxl SH see what they say

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i had the work done by a private mechanic as vauxhall said this needed doing when i took it in but wanted well over the odds for it. As it sounds like it should have been a mass re-call I was hoping to get the money back for it (the vauxhall dealer even said to the mechanic it was a common problem)

cheers for the warm welcome

my damn astra is a pig of a car so it may be back to a vectra

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just in case it's of interest I have a brand new Bosch Lefthand side caliper. It's not available yet but will be in a few days.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.