Thread: anyone ever driven an mr2...?

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

anyone ever driven an mr2...?

been looking around for a cheaper replacement for my astra (initially was looking for my friend, but i got myself more interested than him now!)

has anyone here riddin in or driven an mr2? any thoughts? in particular the non turbo 2.0GT model...drove one today, was some good points and bad points...

good points for me....nice looking for price, t-bar roof is awesome, seats r VERY comfortable, perfect driving position for me, MR madness

bad points were...(dont know if these were just the example i went to look at)...

1. steering wheel didnt seem that responsive...turned it and nothing...esp whilst doing maouvers
    2. brake pedal was very wobbly...not as firm and responsive brake feel as the astra...?
    3. brake pedals quite close together? although i was wearing clumsy size 12 timberlands lol
    4. on the books the mr2 is a whole second faster to 60mph, and has 45 extra horsies...but...doesnt seem to pull away as fast as the astra?!? even at 3k-4k revs...no kick?? and low rev response not very good

I really liked this car, untill i drove it...was a bit disappointed (was a very short drive though...i think i will go again) im hopeing its just the particular one that i was driving

any opinons?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the torque is quite high up on those engines im on the look out for one and going to test one when the astra is sold i tested the new version the roadster and had most of the same problems didnt like it
    Astra Sxi 1.6 X-reg 3dr in polar sea blue

Rosco83
    i have one, and me Dr Shabzzz have been speaking, the reasoning in the power delivery is a system called "tvis"

its a butterfly opening system that stays closed at low engine speeds thus creating more torque for town driving etc, but after 4800rpm it opens up and the power kicks in.

Mine drives much nicer than my Astra did anyway

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my friend has one and its quick once you get it over 5000 rpm then it starts to wake up! but to be honest i cant see where all tht power goes. it can only jst pull away from my friends astra 1.8 sri!.

overall....

handles well, and comfy seats but hasd to be driven hard to get any performance and will drink petrol for breakfast!

does sound nice with a K & N behind your head though!!
    ASTRA POWER

----- 16v SPORT -----
    Irmy Grille, Custom Chrome Racing Exhaust, 17" Mille Miglia Spiders with 215/40/17 Falcons, De-badged, Late Style Dark Lights, SRi Spoiler...and Irmy Dash rings!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    looking at your description it appears dr_shabazzz that you also have a 1.8 sri like mine. I am good friends with matt404. And much like hes just said above. The hike in performance is very negligible over my car. Especially considering on paper the rev 3 mr2 should be 173bhp, 7.5 seconds to 60.

I can vouch that in real terms on the road, it really isnt much quicker than the astra at all. The mr2 owner has admitted that the astra actually has better low down power. Our friends is a 1995, so may not be at its best. However is still a lovely engine once the twin cam kicks in 6000rpm +

Definately nice for a sports car feel and no doubt better handling than the astra although very old cars now. But I honestly hope performance isnt at the top of the list in your buying criteria !
    323 BHP / 312 lbft.......

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    going for it cos of the sports car feel...i know it wont be that much quicker than the astra but its a different experience...plus i'll be able to pull some of the cash out of the astra to have spare...

I really like the handling on my astra since its had new springs and shocks...i hope the mr2 is better! i would imagine it would be better even as standard?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeh handling definately would be !! but be careful the back can step out ! for more info have a look for advice at www.mr2oc.co.uk
    323 BHP / 312 lbft.......

Rosco83
    The turbo's were built for real performance, they are the ones that are in a diferent class! and the normal 2 litre coupes were indeed just that. a 2 litre coupe, hot hatch performance with a nice body. remember this was during the time when the calibra was around.

It suits most people, and you gotta remember it is an older car... and basing it on something more modern makes it more dificult to judge or compare.

Now i would have another mk4 Astra, for sure, as i liked mine allot. And indeed i believe my next car to be a Vauxhall, hell i still have my Cavalier too

But for the price you pay you really do get a good experience with the MR2's.....mid engined, rear wheel drive, removable roof on some models like mine. And the driving experience to me is far superior. I wanted to get one for a couple of years while im young & dont need a pratctical car.. and im glad i did as it puts a smile on my face but my next car will be something very diferent, like a Zafira

Im sure Dr Shabzzz has already signed up to mr2oc, and for info its great... there is also the international mr2 owners club.

each to there own i say, if we were all the same it would be a much more boring place. Plus.... i wouldnt class the MR2 as being a "very old car" ?

I have friends with cars much older than these, bmw's etc..... as long as its in good condition, what does it matter?

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    currently a member of mr2oc.com...makes me appreciate astra-sport! much more active and friendly...someohow i just know that if i sell the astra i will be getting another one in the future...mk5 or mk4 gsi

going for my second test drive next wendesday...different car...should be good, and if they offer me a good deal part x i might just give it to them...they already said £4300 for my astra...but there mr2 is quite pricey

Rosco83
    cool, oh hell yeah... Astra-Sport is the best forum in the world...MatG and the gang really look after us well

Im like you mate, im not away from vauxhall's for long... still have one, and will have another... its just natural for me lol