Thread: Lowering!!? 60/40mm kit needed; will 1.8 16v springs fit a 1.6 16v??

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lowering!!? 60/40mm kit needed; will 1.8 16v springs fit a 1.6 16v??

Hi there people,

im wanting to lower my car, and have been looking at cheap spring sets to do it with, as for a start im on a budget. I want the car as low as possible without sacrificing my own safety lol

I was originally looking at an FK 60/40 shocks and springs kit, but this kit is only done for an Astra F.... Would this kit fit my Astra G 1.6 16v??

I then found some Avo springs kit lowering 60/40 again, but this is only for a 1.8 16v sport.... now will this kit fit my 1.6 16v ? If not, out of curiousity, why?

I want the car to be lowered more than 40mm, and i know i need uprated shocks, but im going to purchase the springs first, then the shocks, as i cannot afford to buy them both at the same time.

Ive read on here of an Eibach kit that lowers -50mm, this sounds good too, but also i have read that the front needs to be lowered more, as this sits higher??? (it will on my car as i have a rather heavy boot install due to be put in sometime this weekend.) So preferably a 60/40 kit if anyone knows of any other than the ones mentioned....??

Any help, prices and links to places to purchase from would be a great help.

Cheers

Adam

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldnt take springs that were designed for the F and put them on the G...firstly i dont know if theyd fit...but the weight of the cars would be completley different...hence springs should be different

All Astra G springs will fit your car (someone correct me here if im wrong) BUT they wont be the right ones...most springs only cover certain engine sizes for example

Dont buy more than 40mm springs if you cant afford the shocks...if your fitting them, you may aswell do it all at once (much easier)...have a look around for some gsi shocks - good cheap alternative to aftermarket ones...i have them with eibachs and its a good combination

LMF Vauxhall to purchase...google it, or its in the top right hand corner of the home page

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_shabzzz
    All Astra G springs will fit your car (someone correct me here if im wrong) BUT they wont be the right ones...most springs only cover certain engine sizes for example
    What exactly do you mean by this? Does this mean that i could buy this 60/40mm Avo spring kit for a 1.8 16v astra sport, and fit it to my astra 1.6 16v CD without any problems? If there were to be any problems, what would they be exactly (apart from the shockers, i know these will need replacing already, and will do so accordingly when i can afford too)

Cheers

Adam

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im not 100% sure...but...i cant see why all astra G springs wouldnt be interchangable...they should all "fit" each other...

BUT...springs are given different stiffness ratings when they leave the factory...the heavier cars eg 2.2, z20let or diesel etc will need stiffer springs than say a 1.4 as its lighter...im pretty sure that why they specifiy the engine size on springs when they sell them...check www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk and have a look for some...you'll see they specifiy the engine size

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As said all G springs are interchangeable, however as also said they fit but they ain't right. Use a set off a GSi on a 1.6 for example and you find the ride is all spring and little damping. Short version, it will handle crap.

Eibach springs are sold not by engine size but by axle weights. Try ordering a set and you will be asked for the axle weights, they are on the black sticker on the drivers door slam panel, they looks like 1-835 2-935 for example, 1 is front axle 2 is rear. Eibach do 2 spring kits for the Astra G, a 30/30 kit and a 45/30 kit. However they tend to lower by around 5mm extra which is why people say -50mm instead of -45mm.
    You'll get people saying they do a 50/50 kit but good luck finding one, they may have done them in the past but they don't now. I know I've spoken to Eibachs main importer and they say the kit doesn't exist. 30/30 kit fits just nicely on standard shocks. 45/30 really need uprated front shocks but you'll get away with them for a short while but you will blow the seals eventually, plus it means removing the shocks twice which isn't a good idea as it's a pain to do.

List your axle weights and see if anyone with a 1.8 has the same figures, same figures mean the 1.8 springs will be ok. I have a really good set of GSi springs but they only lower by -20mm anyway so why would you want them fitted.

Astra F uses a completely different front damper setup so it's very unlikely the springs will fit the G.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if you go for the 45/30 kit would you need to change the shocks?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think 40 mm is fine on standard shocks anything more I believe requires a change.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you aint that far away give me a pm i do all the spray work on PI cars at my place and there five mins down the road so i get a good price for cash

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RuThLeSs
    if you go for the 45/30 kit would you need to change the shocks?
    Yeah you really should change the front shocks, Gsi dampers will take -45mm as they have different internals but normal front shocks will blow eventually, probably just when it's most inconvientent. The rear shocks will be ok as both kits only lower by -35mm at most.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.