Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Strut Moving/Jumping? Top mounts bearings need replacing? help needed asap

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Suspension spring moving? spring touching arch?

Had my suspension changed the other day and used the old top mounts (have done 133k miles) the passenger side looks like its jumping round when moving the wheel and makes a crappy noise

Read a few old posts and im guessing its gotta be the top mount bearings? the strut and spring just seems to jump around instead of moving smoothly

Its goin back to the garage on friday so does anyone else know if its definatly the top mount bearings? and how much will they cost from vaux?

Gonna go order some from vaux tommorow if its them and get the bloke to fit it

need to know asap
    2012 mk5 van / 2006 sporthatch

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

im guessing im gonna need 5 or 6? vaux said thats were the bearings are? costs £50 each tho!!!

any help would be gratefull

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nope it's probably because the garage hasn't tightened the spring retaining nut up properly. Remove the top doughnut, so you can see down into the wing area, the nut holding the spring in place will be loose, it's No3 in your diagram. Same thing happened to mine, watch the top nut move when you bounce the suspension. Get them to check it's tight, they are notorious for not being tight if the springs in the wrong place when you tighten it up, as the spring moves round until it hits the stop the nut get looser and looser. Quick airgun job and it will be ok again. Those top mounts your talking about are £65 EACH!!!!
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As above. Happens loads of times

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers guys, nearly ordered that part today as well :O

Hope it sorted tommorow then, will let you know

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well had it re sat and it was fine for a bit now its doing it again

gonna do it my self 2moz need to get all the tools and i think im gonna put the old suspension back on

so pissed off not gonna mess with the car anymore lol, if it aint broke dont try to fix it!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ADi
    well had it re sat and it was fine for a bit now its doing it again

gonna do it my self 2moz need to get all the tools and i think im gonna put the old suspension back on

so pissed off not gonna mess with the car anymore lol, if it aint broke dont try to fix it!
    We all feel like that at some point, the thing is you've half solved the problem. Tightening the nut worked, ok so it came loose again, all you need to do is find out why it came loose. Either it wasn't tightened done sufficiently or the spring is still moving around and causing the nut to keep coming loose. Either way it's not that hard to fix, plus putting your old suspension on won't cure the problem as the nut will be lose on that as well for exactly the same reasons.

Tighten it up again, this time try and move the spring round with your hands if poss until it hits the stops. Just monitor it, maybe even use some thread lock on the nut if you want. Don't give up, you'll regret it later.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im getting a garage to do it every time tho and its costing £20 a go, if i undid the bolt in the engine bay and removed the washer would i be able to get at it?

just realised i dont have half the tools to do it myself 2moz

cheers

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well it seems to do it only when turning left, the springs jumps. the bloke at the garage seems to think the spring is touching the wheel arch for some reason. He thinks the car might have had a bump before (probably will have been a cop car). The spring does feel very close to the arch

the old strut seems to have been bent a bit as well at the bottom.

What do you think i should do? will getting some -40mm gmax springs be better? are they thinner that the standard springs?

im stumped, dont know what to do now :/

could a spring upside down make it sit closer to the arch?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just had a feel around the inner wheel arch behind the strut it is definatly touching the spring. It feels like the arch is bent outwards toward the spring like its had a bump at some point. The inside of the bonnet looks perfect tho and can see any signs of repair. the other arch is not like this

Think my best bet is to get a hammer on it now lol unless the passenger side arch is meant to be like that?

bloody police doing bodge jobs lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast