Thread: Washed car and got a warning light on the dash

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face Washed car and got a warning light on the dash

Thought I'd wash the car today as it was really dirty and caked in road salt etc. Did the left hand side first like I always do. However the weather was so cold the water was freezing on the roof etc when I was rinsing off the soap. As the bucket was nearly empty I thought I'd wash the front wheels, change the mitt and water and then do the rest of the car and back wheels with the new water.

Washed the front alloys and rinsed them off, started on the back screen and it was so cold I was melting ice with the hot soapy water so I thought I'd start the car up, put on the heater and rear screen and see if that helped. Car didn't really want to start and when it did it wouldn't rev, just tick over. Engine with spanner sign through it was lit up and also the TC light. Mmm I thought, looks like I've disturbed the ABS hub sensor or wiring. Jiggled them about for a bit but no joy. Left the car ticking over hoping the hot air off the engine would help dry out any wet connections, completed washing the car. Went back to the car and it still wouldn't rev even with my foot flat to the floor, however the Blackjax system "saw" the throttle on and tripped the immobiser after a min or so. Had to reset the alarm and start the car up again, now everything is back to normal again, no lights, revs ok, strange. Took it for a quick spin to dry the brakes off and no problems.

So anyone getting the same symptons can try and reset the ignition and see if it clears like mine did. When I put the Brembos back on over Xmas I may have a good look at the ABS connectors and see if there is any corrosion presnt.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think it's a warning light to tell you that your crazy to be washing your car in the freezing cold. Once you started the car and had it running for a while, the temp sensors were fooled into thinking it was a nice clear summers day, hence it returning back to normal.
    From the Southeast? Find your next meet here

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence is limited.

At least I have chicken!

WellOilBeefHooked

Status
    "Choking his Monkey"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jace
    I think it's a warning light to tell you that your crazy to be washing your car in the freezing cold. Once you started the car and had it running for a while, the temp sensors were fooled into thinking it was a nice clear summers day, hence it returning back to normal.
    If the car is that clever, wouldnt it just check the date on the MFD?
    DELETED BY ADMIN -MATG

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm glad you asked that...erm.....clearly his date is setup wrong!
    From the Southeast? Find your next meet here

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence is limited.

At least I have chicken!

WellOilBeefHooked

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nutters
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    "Choking his Monkey"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob
    Nutters
    You know you love us
    DELETED BY ADMIN -MATG