Thread: CCNA and CCNP

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

CCNA and CCNP

Hey there. Chances are you're here because you know what CCNA and CCNP are, or you just fancied a look anyway and havent got a clue..

Well, its cisco certification for networks etc.

Anyway, im just in the last 6 months of my Comp Sci degree now, and im debating what to do at the end of UNI. I dont think i can stand another year at uni.. but was thinking, when i come out, take a loan out and complete these, or atleast the ccna first.

Just wondering if anyone has got theres, and if it made a difference to getting a job, or upping a current job's wages?

Cheers
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My mate just finished his CCNA and has a degree

he is still on the dole

oh and so is the guy across the road from me who did it

so up to you but to me they just bum it up saying that it will garentee you a job ect yet the two people i know who did it are both still out of work
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Might possibly give you a slender advantage over someone else if you have the cisco qualifications, I did CCNA 1 and 2 last year at uni. I pass the module in the unis eyes but i didnt get 60% in CCNA 2 as that what you need to carry onto CCNA 3 then 4.

If you're possibly planning on going into some kinda networking rather than programming and stuff then it might help you to do em, I wish I had actually made an effort with em last year.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did a straight Computing degee and it was a total waste of time - I hardly learnt anything more than I taught myself, learnt nothing of any practical use and keep getting interviews with places who want me to scan documents in and provide 'free' IT support to everyone. Bearing in mind, that when I was doing mine, I kept seeing all these jobs for 20 grand that I could already do - and now they just aren't around You'd be better off getting something like an MCSE qualification; a general, but more practical qualification which shows you can actually do something and not just on one certain type of network/OS etc (like these people who do everything on macs - they really come unstuck in most jobs)

My ex-girlf got a very good degree in IT - and she can just about pick her email up!!! Now, you imagine if she got a networking job - she'd probably shut the net down lol, as she may have got the degree, but hasn't got any practical skills - which is really what you need.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    From what i've heard, employers love it when your CCNA qualified, but only if u have about 5 years experience!

But thats' gonna be the problem with any IT based qualification / job, you may have the qualification, but its the experience thats the hardest to get, and without the experience, a lot of employers dont really want to know!
    Astra Mk4 2.0 16v SRi

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    And when you have the degree and the extra qualifications, (3-5 years of study) making tea and coffee for people who have no qualifications does seem somewhat beneath you