Thread: Might be a daft question...but....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Might be a daft question...but....

..what exactly is the point of the traction control button in the GSi's? I mean as in it's default state you wont spin your wheels so bad under hard acceleration, so why would you want to turn it off, only to spin your wheels at the next speedy exit??

Sorry if this point has been covered!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not just for wheel spin matey, if your booting it round corners it comes onas it detects wheel spin on the inside wheels with the least weight on, which can cause you to crash

my cars a 1.8 sport and ive got the traction control button, not just GSi's!!!!

MK4 1.8 16V Sport and MK5 CDTi Estate

Status
    Sir Peter Pan
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Much more fun without it
    My Project Auto-Biography Thread: Skin of an Astra - Heart of a Monaro - Click here to read more!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You can pull away faster in dry conditions with TC off, so long as you have skill, as you can drip the clutch to reduce power at the wheel by just the right ammount. Wheras TC will just cut the power by like 40% or something daft as it makes sure that wheel spin is eliminated.

However, in the wet you are probably better leaving it turned on. Else you might try to pull onto a roundabout and find your tyres are sherdding and your gap is closing fast while you're still only half out of your junction. With TC on your pullaway wont be as fast as if you didnt spin the tyres, but at least it will ensure that you do move forward and so are less likely to find a car in your drivers door.

I leave it turned on most of the time as batting round roundabouts too fast the TC helps prevent understeering.
    B.A.D.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You would also use the TC set to off whilst driving in really heavy snow and ice.

If you left it switched on, you would be able to sit stationary and rev the engine as much as you wanted - each time the wheels would spin, the Tc would cut the revs, and you would go nowhere.

(can get a similar effect on wet grass)
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    If I had a TC buttn I could see myself posting on here that i've written my car off, it could come in handy though for those quick pull aways I have to do in the morning out of the drive. Car usually makes itt to the middle of the road and the looses power
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    "Choking his Monkey"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All valid point smade, but the real reason is that it lights up prettily when your side lights are on =]
    DELETED BY ADMIN -MATG

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good last point! I'll go with that!!! Cheers for the replies. Would have answered sooner, only computer been bust!!