Thread: Astra SRi Turbo buying advice

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra SRi Turbo buying advice

Hi guys and girls! Newbie here! Ive seen a lovely red sri turbo for sale at my local Network Q dealer. Its priced at 7495 and looks immcaculate. I have had a cav tubo for a few years before. Currently have a scoob, but want something different and less expensive to run! Anything that i should look out for on it?

Cheers

Andy

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Usually things apply really:

Make sure the engine hasnt been thrashed, and all history seems to be in correct order. It may be worth posting up the Reg here to see if its a known car (upto you though due to security etc).

things to watch out for:

Rear arches - yes the mk4 is starting to show this problem as well sadly

Door Frames - look in the inner sid eof the door frame where the window frame meets the door, that is prone to cracking and rusting if not looked after.

Seats - Check the rear seats fold fowards and backwards as many of them have problems (check them a few times to be sure)

Rear Brake Calipers - these can sometimes stick and you can hear them grinding when rolling backwards etc, it has been a recall issue some got done others didnt.

Engine wise - usually turbo things, water pumps are an issue, make sure the cam belt was changed at 40k, oil every 5k if the previous owner had anything about them.

Sounds like a good price and great colour let us know how you get on I am sure some SriT owners will add there comments as well
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ditto the above,

The brakes should be okay. It was an older design of calipers that had real problems.

If you get what seems like a bearing rumble from the engine, deffo check the water pump. Just had to have a new one on mine (at 38,000 miles!) They aren't too expensive to run really. 25-30mpg unless you floor it everywhere. Front tyres wear quickly (pretty obvious that one) but even when the tread is nice and healthy on the outside of the tyres, check the inside edges - mine were through to the cord even with about 2mm left on the outside.

Go for it mate, happy astra motoring!
    2006 Astra VXR on 19's in Arden Blue
    ExhaustsUK Catback, Eibach Sportlines, DS Ultima, Roose hose kit, Forge recirculating dump valve, Full self modded SMD conversion