Thread: Just the morning for car problems!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just the morning for car problems!!

Woke up this mornin and turned on the car and the exhaust started stuttering andf the idle kept going up and down, the temp outside was only 6'c which it has started before at -2'c. When i took it for a spin hopin it was just the cold morning the acceleration was poor like i was puttin me foot down and the car wasnt goin fast and was shuddering. Sometimes it did respond and the revs shot up!. So when i got in i checked the oil which was well under a quarter so i topped it up, i squeezed all the water and coolant pipes for blockages but it was flowin freely. I asked me dad and he thinks it could be 1 of 3 things.
    1. Dirty Fuel (I am in the red atm)
    2. Sparkplugs
    3. Blocked or damaged injector

I have an astra coupe 1.8i 16v 2001 (Y) engine model X or Z18XE

PS. I dont have any warning lights appear on the display

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Although you don't have any warning lights your problems sound like the classic AFM problem. My failed and it didn't show an engine management light, I'd suggest borrowing one from a friend to confirm if it is indeed the AFM

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    whats an AFM? air flow meter?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    fill up with some Fuel an see what happens

Status
    AkA P_Man
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like plugs.

my punto had the same situation and it turned out it was only running on 3 cylinders because of it.

just get it to a garage.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers, il add some petrol add some red lead cleaner and replace the plugs, had a service recently so im bettin vauxhall cheaped out and didnt change em.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    definately try to borrow an afm from someone, seems to be the cause of alot of problems on here!
    Fitted options: Folding mirrors, cruise control, dual tone horn, remap.
    Next: Bluetooth

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You'll need to identify which 1.8 engine you've got. The X18XE1 had an EGR valve, the later Z18XE didn't. I suspect yours is a Z18XE due to the year. Have a look on the exhaust manifold below the heat shield, is there a large cannister between the manifold and exhaust pipe? if there is it's a Z18XE, if not it's a X18XE1. It's not unlikely to be plugs, Vx never seem to change them, mine still aren't due to be changed according to Vx and that's after 3 years I changed them for Iridium plugs and have never regreted the extra expense, even at £38 a set. Don't think it's the AFM although it could be, they usually go due to oil saturation so unless you've just added a K&N or similar air filter I doubt it's gone. Could be a coil pack though but check everything else before considering replacing that as it can be an expensive (around £100) option.

If it's a X18XE1 I'd consider changing or cleaning the EGR valve. Cold weather can gum them up as it causes the oil which is usually gumming them up to solidify and cause erratic running and tickover.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.