Thread: 2.2 Astra...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question 2.2 Astra...

Hey guys, i have a 2.2 astra, now im not all too technical as u may have read sum of my previous posts where ive f**ked sumit on my car, but does anybody here feel that the 2.2 engine is abit.. well.. for me i find it less than what i expected when i first got the car.

i go to alot of street racing and have raced many cars, now i know the car is heavy but lets say for exmaple i know a vtec engine kicks out some power but racing a 1.6 CRX non vtec we are neck and neck all the way, the strip we race on is good up to about 90 odd mph then you have to slam on the brakes before you hit the end of the road but i would have thought id have blowen this donkies old rattle box of a car away with it being non vtec, i did have traction control come on when racing this car 3 times but still i thought id have been miles ahead.

just really wana know what you guys think, views etc, cus surly the 2.2 has potential to kick out a shit loads more power than a 1.6 with out spending crazy money.
    Astra Coupe 2.2 16v - Titan Gold -

Courtenay Sport Air Filter + Airbox De-Restricted
    Remus Cat-Back System
    Snooper S2
    £500 Of I.C.E

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Street racing is not big, and not clever, and certainly not something you should be admitting to on a public forum.

Search for 2.2 tuning and you'll find you can supercharge it to get near turbo performance

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thats an expensice option though coo.

I also drive a 2.2 and feel as if it is a little sluggish, compared to my expectations of it..

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Vauxhall design cars for real world day to day diving, not street racing, so assessing it's performance off other Vin Diesel wannabes is a bit naive.

Also, it is a very tunable engine, but being as it is reasonably rare in the UK, not many tuning firms have done much for it yet, as they still focus in the CLET, ZLET C20XE. In America where then engine is far moor papular, there are plenty bits to make it go better.

US drag racers are getting 1000bhp out of this engine, which is perfect for street races, but impossible to live with as day to day transport.

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    .....so my new advice is to pop over the pond to America with an empty suitcase and grab yerself a bargain charger !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have my first ever 2.2 and I think it's great . The super-charger is a good performance boot. I have my 2.2 chipped and a few other mods done.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    only a little mod mate but try removing the pre-cat !

people say it makes it feel more like a 2.2 as its very restricted as standard !
    300bhp Focus RS

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    M40COO i see your view, but you cant tell me you never drive over the speed limit ? or ever put your foot down to get infront of a certain car ? not once ???..

anyway its far to travel to legal events and is a little fun between a community in my area, and not in busy public places, we use business parks in the dead of night.

I drove a CRX today. 1.6 and its quick, its so old and rattly tho, its not a turbo or a vtec and its pi**in me off cus i know the 2.2 can/MUST give me much more
    Astra Coupe 2.2 16v - Titan Gold -

Courtenay Sport Air Filter + Airbox De-Restricted
    Remus Cat-Back System
    Snooper S2
    £500 Of I.C.E

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KuTz
    M40COO i see your view, but you cant tell me you never drive over the speed limit ? or ever put your foot down to get infront of a certain car ? not once ???..

anyway its far to travel to legal events and is a little fun between a community in my area, and not in busy public places, we use business parks in the dead of night.

I drove a CRX today. 1.6 and its quick, its so old and rattly tho, its not a turbo or a vtec and its pi**in me off cus i know the 2.2 can/MUST give me much more

putting ur foot down and goin ove rthe speedlimit is different from what u do.

its dafties like urself that get car modders a bad name.

i know u will come back with sum comment about that but u have no grounds for an arguement and a lot of ppl on here will agree

Status
    AkA P_Man
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hey.

I know exactly what you mean. ive had my 2.2 coupe for aobut 4 months now, and it is well.... sluggish. I expected more. ive read the same thing a few times. Apparently the engine isnt as easy to mod as you'd think too. the 1.8 is suppoed to be far more moddable as its the right way round. I could be in the wrong ball park with that so dont quote me, im not a techie.

I too am on the lookout to get more from the engine with minimal outlay, so if you find something let me know.

have you tested its 0-60 yet? whats the time? I'll do mine to compare...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast