Don,t know how many painters there are on here but i work for autopaint barnsley and some of our customer are flapping about the new paint regulations.well i,ve just been given this by a mate who is an enviromental services manager.
PAINT DIRECTIVE 2004/42/CE
The above government directive passed into law at the end of october.
The key points that you need to know are listed below.
1. After 01.01.2007 it will be an offence for paint manufacturers to supply non-compliant coating for vehicle Refinishing.Distributers will be allowed to continue to sell existing stock until 31.12.2007.obviously once stocks are exhausted they will not be replenished.
2. ALL bodyshops will have to comply by using compliant products,anynon-compliant products found on refinish premises after the above date will be subject to investigation and possible prosecution of the supplier.
3. Non-compliant products will include cellulose, MS two-pack topcoats and lacquers, RFU lacquers and solvent basecoats.
4. Local authority registration reverts to a threshold of 1 tonne of VOCs used in any given year and the cost of registration will be greatly reduced.
5. The legislation repeals the solvent emissions directive in respect of vehicle refinishing,which means that the solvent reduction plan is no longer required.
Bodyshops will therefore have to use water-borne basecoats and HS solid colours and laquers.