Thread: Pics of vented bonnet-work in progress

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pics of vented bonnet-work in progress

As some may know I've been having my spare bonnet altered to copy a design I saw a pic of some while ago. It's taken a while but speed isn't the issue here, the finished result is more important. Here's the vented bonnet I'm after copying, it's been done by Calibra Coachworks and was part of the Father and Son display where they had a Astra GSi and a Corsa painted and kitted very similarly.

Here's the bonnet as it was today, not seen it in the flesh just had some pics sent by the bodyshop.

I think they've done a pretty good job of copying the pic I gave them. I've asked them to check the offside small vents inner cut as I think it needs to go a bit deeper as the metal appears to be bending funnily, other than that it looks a good attempt. No idea of how much longer it will take but I've told them not to rush, I just want a good job done.
    As it progresses I'll post more pics, just got to hope his further efforts are as good as that.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looks awreet eh. I aint a fan of bonnet vents usually cos its an EVO one stuck to a 1.1 Pug 106 or summet.

That looks awreet tho.
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looking good, like that a lot.
    MK4 Golf 1.8T, Euro Style

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Seems to be a bit of an optical illusion as well. My bonnet vents seem to be much bigger than the pic I supplied. However after studying the original pic you can see the vents come back to where the swave line dissapears into the bonnet and mine is almost identical. It won't be a perfect copy but it will be close enough. As far as I know the only other bonnet like it belongs to the original picture owner, which is exclusive enough for me.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    It only takes a minute
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    looking good there m8
    Always good to try and have a go and be different
    Astra Mk4 GSi in Ardon BLUE
    "HAS IT GOT BOOST"

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not usually a fan of vented bonnets, but that looks like its comming along nicely.

should look when its done

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    looking nice ken

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just had another e-mail from the bodyshop, the vents are mostly welded up. The bonnet could even be filled and primed by tonight and if things go well sprayed tomorrow or Thursday. If not he can't spray till Monday but I should have some finished pics by next weekend and I'll have it fitted by the Saturday after next. This is all provided of course that the vents don't hit anything in the engine bay but as it's a close copy of the original and that fitted can't see why mine won't but you never know I suppose. One of the drawbacks of not having the car there to test fit things.

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Looks nice. I like that.

Your vents are the same size front to back as the pic, but they're a little wider.
    So the centre panel is narrower. It's all in proportion tho, so doesn't make any difference.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Couple more pics, welding is complete, welds have been smoothed, bonnet has been acid etched to help the filler bond to it. Filler & Primer should be on in a day or so hopefully.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast