Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow X20XEV Full exhaust system reccomendations

Hi,
    Just had my 80k service and passed MOT - (Yay!!)
    But one of the comments that came up was that the exhaust manifold is blowing slightly. I understand that cracked manifolds is a common problem on this engine. The blow was obviously not bad enough to fail the MOT, but I want to do something about it (plus the exhaust looks a bit rusty under the car.)

Anyway, long story short - Im in the market for a new full system for my X20XEV (Mk4 2.0 SRi).
    I want a sports system, so better performance is the name of the game, as opposed to sound. Im not hung up on the noise, just so long as the system adds power i expect an appropriate noise will follow.

Has anyone got any recommendations on hardware?
    Also, is fitting the thing something that's reasonably easy to do at home? (I dont mind getting the car up on axle stands but i dont want to take more than a few hours or disconnect too much stuff.)

Cheers guys and gals!
    B.A.D.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi,

The problme with the sound of a blown exaust from your manifold may not be a cracked manifild, it could be down to 2/3/4 of your manifold studs shearing off thus the manifold would not be sealed properly by the gasket. The problem occurs due tot he changed in temperature around the collant pipe side of the manifold. Mine went at 33K to my shock as I just bought the car. Take the heat sheild off and you will be able to get a better indication of whats had went wrong. It may well be that your manifold had cracked as that has happened to a few too.

As for exhausts, it depends what exhaust note your after....? I still have my current system on the car, but have a CAT back Stainless Jetx system that I ahve been meaning to fit for ages but not got round to it
    I was told that this gave a stubtle exaust note and that was what I was after, nothing OTT. This is the same system that is fitted to BYRON's old SRi

Manifold wise you can go for a Lexmaul stainless manifold that will release extra BHP.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I asked they guy who gave my keys back if he could tell me exactly what was causing the exhaust gas to leak in the engine bay, but he didnt have that info.

I think I'd like to get a full system anyway, for the BHP and sound benifits but you're right, it may be worth me having a quick look to see what has gone wrong.

You reckon that Lexmaul is a decent brand to go for as far as a system is concerned?

I've heard bad things about powerflow, so i think i'll avoid them. I just want to pick up on other people's experiences and recomendations.
    B.A.D.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi,

Yeah I wuld take off the heat shield (4 bolts) and see what the damage is.... Either way the manifold has to come off as it will be effecting the perfomance of the car plus exhaust gases will be entering the engine bay.

I would say Lexmaul are one of the best for manifolds and probably exhausts too, but other may be able to shed some light on their experiences with Lexmaul gear.

I hope to get a lexmaul manifiold for mine money and time permitting.

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a similar problem on my MK3 20XEV and it turned out to be a bolt that had sheared off.
    Yorkshire Region R.O
    DRIVES A 2.2 SE1 COUPE & 1.4 CORSA SPORT