Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Replacing MFD Bulbs

Hi

I read the technical faq guide on replacing bulbs but have a quick question.

My dashboard bulbs(for the speedo etc) arent working. To replace them are the bulbs inside the MFD? I removed the four screws and I got access to the MFD but what do I do from there?

Thanks all

Andrew
    Drives:Mazda 6 MPS- Zoom Zoom

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not too sure what you are on about here.

there are 2 bulbs behind the mfd - for the mfd.

there are (4 I think) behind the speedo cluster.
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Basically all my other instrument panels light up fine.

I cannot see the speedo, rev counter or any dial on that panel at night.

The mileage lights and all other LCD lights are fine.

Where exactly are these 2 bulbs and what do they look like.

I saw the big wiring loom thingy that connects the mfd to the rest of the car

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    on the back of the mfd there will be 2 hex bulkb holders in white - or green - thats 2 of the bulbs.
    You need to release the MFD from the centre console if you havnt already (you have to slide a piece of plastic out of the way to release the connector.)

The ones for the speedo etc are on the instrument binnacle. To get these.....

*Remove steering wheel (including airbag - take the relevant precautions - covered elsewhere)
    *Remove indicator and windscreen wiper cowling shields (2 screws behind covers hidden by the steering wheel)
    *remove instrument binnacle surround (2 screws IIRC)
    *turn the white clip retainer at the top of the instruments to the left to release.
    *ease instrument cluster out - bulbs will look the same on the rear of the instrument cluster as they do on the MFD.

But as ALL of yours arnt working - it could be the white retaining clip at the top isnt correctly secured causing a dodgy connection to the wiring.
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You can get to the dials without removing the steering wheel, just requires a bit of careful manouvering to get it through the top of the steering wheel, but very possible.
    All the bulbs turn 90degrees then pop out, long nosed pliers can be quite useful.

Erm, it's not the brightness adjuster is it? I.e. set to dim when your lights are on, hence why you cant see it at night.
    From the Southeast? Find your next meet here

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence is limited.

At least I have chicken!

WellOilBeefHooked

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no its definitely not the brightness dial.

Ill try what kitchpoo said I think I saw those bulbs holders.

however when i jiggled the console loose the fog lamp led connector did flash a bit. Ill let you know how I got on once I got the bulbs from VX.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I own a mk3 astra and done the mfd, dash ,heater controls very easy to do even with little knowledge, done mine in blue led's, look great

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok peeps i took the whole speedo display unit thingy out and found out the following:

the bottom bulbs light up fine ie for the mileage counter and the warning lights

no light from any of the top leds

which seems to suggest a fuse has blown, but i checked all the fuses using a multimeter to see any continuity and they were all ok.

do you think it is a fuse? if so which type is it likely to be ie the colour approximate position on the fuse board. Easiest thing maybe just to replace all the appropriate coloured fuses if so. they are cheap enough anyway.

thanks all

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not exactly clear what the problem is here but this pic may help. It's a speedo I'm working on which has been stripped right back. You can clearly see the 3 bulb holes in the printed circuit board, there not covered by the white plastic tray. Really easy to get the speedo out without removing the steering wheel, disconnect, turn on it's side and slide it through the wheel. Once you've done it once you can do it blindfold. I don't suspect a fuse, I think it's the white block connector on the rear if anything, look for bent pins.
    By any chance have you replaced the bulbs with LEDs?

52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i havent done anything its just never worked since i got the car but never realised at the time. i did check the white block and all the pins were in fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast