See info below:

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorted!

If anyone has the stalling problem and are told to replaced the ecu because of the air mass meter and are quoted around the £600 mark try this first -

I've seen this before with trouble codes set for Air Mass Voltage High and Intake Air Temperature Voltage High. The air mass meter also contains a sensor to record intake air temperature.
    The problem with these cars was that both codes were stored and after following checking procedures and suspecting either a faulty meter or ECU, a new ECU was the cure. Costly indeed, but if yours is the same problem then there is another way......

The reason the ECU needs replacing is that instead of the Mass Air Meter having it's own connection to earth, it goes along the yellow wire (pin 2 at the meter I think) to the ECU, into the ECU then to earth (earth is the same name as the negative connection on cars). These paticular ECU's sometimes go up the creak and lose this internal earth connection - hence no working Air Mass Meter.

If you expose a few inches of wiring from the Air Mass Meter plug, chop the yellow wire and connect the meter (not the ECU) end to a handy earth point on the inlet manifold, the meter should now be working as its negative connection has been restored. I crimp on a round terminal a fit it to the earth point by the alternator bracket and tuck all the wiring back into its covering.

Even if this isn't the fault with your car, you won't have lost anything because all you've done is earthed the meter at a different point.
    Incidently, I have checked on wiring diagrams and can find no reason why the earthing arrangement is set up like this. If anyone knows i'd be interested to know why.

I hope this helps.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    very helpful barnes my MIL light is coming on about 30s to 3 mins after start up and i did suspect the AMM was causing the fault. is this info the same for diesels? (1.7td).
    cheers , Bucky.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J SE 2.0CDTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've seen my m8 do something similar, but it was from the 3 wire lambda sensor though to the ecu he put a earth in, and the car started running correctly and stopped chucking neat fuel through the exhaust.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is for the X18XE1, don`t know about any others.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just had a look at mine and there five wires:
    Brown/White
    Red/Blue
    Brown
    Red/Brown
    Blue/White

no wim guessing that the plain brown will be the earth but im not going to start stripping wires an stuff till im sure any ideas guys?
    i cant exactly check them with a testlight as the lives will have power just like the earths......
    cheers
    bucky.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bucky
    just had a look at mine and there five wires:
    Brown/White
    Red/Blue
    Brown
    Red/Brown
    Blue/White

no wim guessing that the plain brown will be the earth but im not going to start stripping wires an stuff till im sure any ideas guys?
    i cant exactly check them with a testlight as the lives will have power just like the earths......
    cheers
    bucky.
    If you have a mutlimeter or something similiar then take the plug off the meter, stick one of the probes into a pin then touch the neg on your battery. Then do a continuity test. Whichever one beeps is the earth wire. No wire stripping required.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattcoupturbo
    If you have a mutlimeter or something similiar then take the plug off the meter, stick one of the probes into a pin then touch the neg on your battery. Then do a continuity test. Whichever one beeps is the earth wire. No wire stripping required.
    will do that at work tommoz.
    cheers bucky.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    earthed out the brown one and its made no difference......
    looks like that air flow sensor shall be getting replaced.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to dig up a reaaalllly old thread but i've done this and it's cured the MAF warning at idle and startup etc.

Problem is now the warning comes on as though it's a gear change indicator....bear with me.

Lights coming on at

1st @ 6,5000
    2nd @ 5,500
    3rd @ 5,000
    4th @ 4,500
    5th @ 4,000

Now i don't tend to scream the engine often but i'd just like a few ideas why this may be happening??

Cheers in advance
    2.0T 100 edition Vectra, 175Bhp 195 Lb.ft, Standard for now
    1.6 16v Megane Dynamique