Thread: Performance Filters. Your experiences.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Performance Filters. Your experiences.

Is it worth it?
    I've read about oil contaminating AFMs and that K&N's are only 99% efficient,
    so a bit of dirt gets in etc...

So, in your experience, how long have you had your filter fitted, and how has the experience been??

Thanks!
    Opel Owners' Club SA Forums

2002 Astra Coupe Turbo Phase 3

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Third K&N on my third Vauxhall.

The first one I used for 18 months in my Mk4 Club 1.6 8v. That filter was given to a housemate for his Mk4 which he used for a year before cleaning it. So the filter did nearly 80k over the course of nearly 3 years.

Second one I put in my Corsa 1.2 16v the day after I got the car. Ran that 18 months without any trouble.

Third one went into the DTi the day after I got it, 3k later with no problems.

So, three filters over 100k combined, over 3 years and not a single problem to report.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No manufacturer in their right mind would claim thier product to be 100% reliable. it would just open the flood gates to claim after claim after claim, -in in the case of an air filter it would all be virtually impossible to indentify whether that product was the sole cause of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by K&N FAQ's
    7. Will a K&N filter cause my vehicle’s mass air sensor to fail?

At this time, K&N is unaware of any evidence that K&N air filter oil from a K&N air filter can damage or cause the malfunction of a MAF sensor, regardless of the make of the vehicle involved. K&N takes seriously any claim that one of its products is incompatible with its designated application or can damage or cause the malfunction of any automotive component. Such claims are thoroughly investigated and, when appropriate, testing is undertaken to determine their merit. In the case of MAF sensors, ongoing tests have shown that contamination from K&N air filter oil has not caused any failures or malfunctions of the MAF sensors in the test vehicles. K&N is aware that MAF sensors can become contaminated for a variety of reasons, unrelated to a K&N air filter (such as backfiring, blowby, leaking airbox or leaking intake duct) and that various methods have been used by some service departments and repair shops to clean a dirty or contaminated MAF sensor, such as spraying with an appropriate cleaner. K&N has not completed any tests as to the efficacy of such a process and, therefore, does not officially endorse or recommend any cleaning process. However, if given the choice of either replacing a MAF sensor or cleaning it, K&N recommends that the consumer ask his or her automotive dealer to attempt cleaning, before replacement. It should be noted that the presence of contamination does not mean the contamination was the cause of the MAF sensor failure. Sensors can fail for electrical or mechanical reasons, unrelated to any visible contamination.
    As for my own experience with K&n's

VX Chevette, pancake filter on weber 28/36 DCD - over 60,000 on modified engine, with no trouble what so ever. The car was sold as parts (engine perfect) and the new owner reported compression was still as standard.

MK1 Astra - pancake filter on GM varyjet II - over 50,000 miles and no problems, sold to a friend who put another 40,000 miles on it. Heavy oil use down to crap valve guide oil seals.

MK3 Astra - 57i - 60,000miles and no problems, sold 3 years and still seen driving around. Heavy oil use down to crap valve guide oil seals.

MK4 Astra - panel filter - 40,000 miles to date and you guessed it no problems (as yet).

Bottom line - in my experience, yes they are worth it

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I noticed that there is a bit of debris around the AFM wire mesh.
    Should i attempt to clean it?

It looks like the wire mesh isn't the actual "sensor" but merely to filter incoming air.
    There is a little resistor and a single wire in the body of the AFM after the wire mesh that looks to be the actual sensor??

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The actual sensor is the wire - which explains its fragility.

It works by heating the wire and measuring the cooling effect of the air passing over it, then by electronic voodoo the ecu works out the volume of air being drawn in and meters the fuel accordingly.

As for cleaning it - your choice, if you'fe feeling confident enough not to shag it

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So the "mesh" isn't the actual sensor??