Thread: anyone here had experience with commercial air pilot stuff?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

anyone here had experience with commercial air pilot stuff?

i'm going to go along to the GAPAN aptitude tests and see how i do, just wanted to know if anyone here had experience with them or the field of commercial airpilot training in general?

i suppose i also need to do a class 1 medical, although i passed the army medical the other week with flying colours... so maybe it's not so vital just yet (not until i start looking at doing the actual course anyway).

but anyway, if you have, any info?
    My car - Rusty Custom Creations Inc....

The only natural pilots are born with feathers.... except me.

Status
    Cameron Ginger Diaz
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    rusty - I work with a load of pilots - could get you all the info you need this week and put you in contact with a few of our 737-767 brigade

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GSILady
    rusty - I work with a load of pilots - could get you all the info you need this week and put you in contact with a few of our 737-767 brigade

that'd be awesome....

if you could get some recommendations of flying schools too that'd really helpful i think (in the south).

also what plane is it best to train for? i've only really seen training on the B737...but to be honest i'm not that clued up just yet!

and if any of them did the GAPAN aptitude thing, an idea of what sort of tests they do would be good.

think that's about it

Status
    Cameron Ginger Diaz
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No worries - consider it sorted

Best opportunities at the mo are on the Boeing 737 - we're adding a further 13 to the fleet next year but have had a shortage of pilots, hence that a few airlines are offering direct entry and sponsorship. I'll ask everything you have put in your post and try and get one of our Captains to contact you direct. Now is the time to really think seriously about commercial flying as the opportunities are really here at the moment

Remember to think of me though when you are earning £5 grand a month

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GSILady
    No worries - consider it sorted

Best opportunities at the mo are on the Boeing 737 - we're adding a further 13 to the fleet next year but have had a shortage of pilots, hence that a few airlines are offering direct entry and sponsorship. I'll ask everything you have put in your post and try and get one of our Captains to contact you direct. Now is the time to really think seriously about commercial flying as the opportunities are really here at the moment

Remember to think of me though when you are earning £5 grand a month

cheers m'dear... i'll erm... buy you a drink with my first paycheck!

what airline are you with by the way?

Status
    Cameron Ginger Diaz
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers rusty..

I drink Dom Perignon by the way

I work for Thomsonfly which was the old Britannia - loads of great expansion plans in the pipeline btw - with a possible introduction of the 787/A350

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah, i was told that not only is the industry actually growing a fair bit, but also the demographic of commercial pilots is quite old.. meaning a lot are due to retire over the next decade.

so all in all t'isn't too bad as far as employment opportunities go!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's alright for some!!!

Kidding mate..Good luck, it's nice to see theres obviously chance there to do well

G'Luck
    - Astra Coupe 2.2 16v Bertone Europa Blue-

<<< astra-sport (Beds Region) >>>
    ...COME AND JOIN IN THE FUN...

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The reason why the airline industry is growing a lot now, is because after 9/11 'nobody' wanted to fly, which meant lot's of airlines grounded aircraft indefinitely and 'retired' a lot of cabin crew/air crew. They also didn't recruit many pilots in the aftermath.
    People are now starting to fly a lot more again, and the number of pilots required is growing out of proportion to the number of applicants - meaning you have a better chance of getting through.

I don't know about the GAPAN aptitude tests, but the RAF ones are used by almost every air force in europe, and a lot of airlines. (not sure if it is the same thing)
    The official line is that there is nothing you can do to improve your aptitude - you either have it or you don't. The reality is that you can train yourself to be more prepared. The RAF reccomend, playing an hour a day of computer games that 'test' your reaction times and hand/eye coordination for 2 weeks prior. I'm not sure if it works, but I did it, and got 99.48% aptitude for Pilot training (which was the highest they had seen for 5 years).
    Even if the test is different I would imagine that they are testing the same things, as they are looking for the same 'qualities'.

Do you have a PPL already?? If not a PPL can be done for under £5000 and will be a huge bonus for you if/when you apply for your ATPL sponsorship - which I assume you will be going for as otherwise I think it costs around £80-100,000. And the best bit is - as a PPL results in a nationally recognised qualification, the government will contribute towards it, or you can get a sponsorship/loan from the UK Air League (an organisation run by retired pilots to help get young people flying).

If you want any info/advice from someone who has been down the same road(runway) then email me/pm me. Good luck!!!!
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M555TJH_SRi
    I don't know about the GAPAN aptitude tests, but the RAF ones are used by almost every air force in europe, and a lot of airlines. (not sure if it is the same thing)
    yes, i'm fairly sure GAPAN stole the tests from the RAF...

The official line is that there is nothing you can do to improve your aptitude - you either have it or you don't. The reality is that you can train yourself to be more prepared. The RAF reccomend, playing an hour a day of computer games that 'test' your reaction times and hand/eye coordination for 2 weeks prior.
    now there's a good excuse to get down with the xbox i'll make sure to use that when the GF next complains! seriously though, i did wonder about that so cheers, and it can't hurt so why not!

Do you have a PPL already?? If not a PPL can be done for under £5000 and will be a huge bonus for you if/when you apply for your ATPL sponsorship - which I assume you will be going for as otherwise I think it costs around £80-100,000. And the best bit is - as a PPL results in a nationally recognised qualification, the government will contribute towards it, or you can get a sponsorship/loan from the UK Air League (an organisation run by retired pilots to help get young people flying).
    no i don't... that's a good point though, i hadn't really thought about the chances of sponsorship being higher if i did that. The courses i have checked out are about £56,000 to go from zero hours to 100 hours line training on B737 and get the CPL, Instrument rating etc etc... so yeah it's a lot of money without sponsorship. do-able, but i'd rather not

If you want any info/advice from someone who has been down the same road(runway) then email me/pm me. Good luck!!!!

I may well do mate.... look forward to me harrassing you