Thread: Structural advice...

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Structural advice...

Looked at a house we are interested in tonight, but we have a cunning plan to turn part of a bedroom in to an ensuite.

Now - in order to do this - we would have to remove part of a wall which seperates bedroom 1 and 2 - the wall between the two bedrooms has the chimney breast in the middle of it - and I want to remove part of the wall to one side of the chimney breast. I forgot to tap the walls to see if they were stud or solid, anyone know what the likelyhood of this wall being loadbearing?
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it's got the chimney goin thru is then it will almost certainly be solid brick/blockwork. However that doesnt mean its deffinately load bearing.

Little hard to tell without seeing it but I would of though it goes right up to roof level, therefore part of the roof structure.
    LM Audio - Knebworth Herts - 01438 812444

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its not the chimney breast I want to take out - its a wall to the side of it - I think a second visit might be on the cards.

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    "Choking his Monkey"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Even if it is load bearing, stick a gurder in their and it'll be ayeokay. The chimney breast should give enough support.
    DELETED BY ADMIN -MATG

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchpoo
    its not the chimney breast I want to take out - its a wall to the side of it - I think a second visit might be on the cards.
    Yeah I got that, it should be fine as long as you put the correct support back into the wall afterwards and if its an old house the stability of the chimney could be an issue.

Just make sure you get a proper structural engineer to have a butchers not some dodgy builder!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    this is the property

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...a_n=1&tr_t=buy

hmm - nice carpets!!!

but its the same layout on the floor above - as to this picture.

And I want to remove the wall that is behind the fireplace - in the recess on the floor above.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ahhhh i get it. I thought it was a proper old skool chimney....this looks 60s ish am I right? Looks to me there could be a fair bit of stud work around that bad boy of a fire place.

Don't see any problem with knocking a part of the wall out, as has been said just bung a lintel or steel beam over it (depending on the loading)

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    late 70's i believe, it masks the boiler which is within the same area - and is also vented through to the roof.

My concern was the support required for the chimney would need tieing to the outer walls of the property, rather than the weight imposed above - more of a lateral support, but I wimped out of structural engineering - far too technical to me.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchpoo
    late 70's i believe, it masks the boiler which is within the same area - and is also vented through to the roof.

My concern was the support required for the chimney would need tieing to the outer walls of the property, rather than the weight imposed above - more of a lateral support, but I wimped out of structural engineering - far too technical to me.
    I've defected over to railways as well mate so i'm no expert! If you're just poppin a door sized opening in to the wall I wouldn't of thought the stability of the chimney would be effected.

But yeah if you take out massive chunks from either side of it then it could quite possibly go titties north.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I'm a civil engineer ( but also defected to railways!). looking at the pictures, the chimney will be tied to other walls above and below the proposed door opening. I dont see a problem with putting a door in. You may well find that the wall is made from breeze block (common construction for the seventies, these days the cheapskates use stud partition - oh they dont build like the old days!) so long a lintel is placed above the propsed door I believe that all will be fine. - kitchpoo check with Andy (admin) on Vectra-c.com - hes a architectural technician currently working on a newcastle footballers house - I'm sure he can advise as well.
    The Polisher
    Turbos make things blurry