Thread: Oil for CDTi?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oil for CDTi?

Im due to pick my 150 CDTi Sport Hatch up on Nov 11th (ahem!!) and its the first time of owning a diesel Ive a few beginners questions.

I believe the service interval is 20000 miles?! seems a helluva long time between oil changes to me, what are peoples experiences of the engine performance/condition degrading a long with the oil? I know just coming from a Clio 182 that although it was recommended to change every 12000 the car went much much better changing to fully-synth and changing every 6000.

What kind of oil does the CDTi come with as standard and will there be any benefit changing to a more performance orientated oil? Is there such a thing as that kinda oil for diesels as there are for petrol engines?

Muchos Gracias

Steve

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They've always been 20,000. My MK4 1.7TDi is the same.

I'd guess all new Vaux engines come with 0W40/0w30 fully synthetic, although I think Vaux fully synthetic is something like 5w40. Newer stuff tends to be designed to a higher tollerance. So would use this oil.
    CRAP SIGNATURE

Quote Originally Posted by MatG
    really liked the UV corsa and I think its a shame it never got finished, and is not just rusting away

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ALSO, to add to your questions about the Clio Vs the Astra service. The diesel doesn't rev as hard, so engine oil generally will not heat up like a diesel will even though it's a turbo. So the 172 will be working a lot harder than the 150PS CDTi engine.
    CRAP SIGNATURE

Quote Originally Posted by MatG
    really liked the UV corsa and I think its a shame it never got finished, and is not just rusting away

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dont worry too much about the oil change cos youll burn half of it before the first service!! - not joking, they do tend to use alot of oil before their first service (deseils naturally burn oil as there is an excess amount of air in the cylinders due to the high compression they use). I just bung in any old deseil oil in my deseil cos i know it'll only burn it anyway

ps dont forget to get a tuning box fitted - diagnostix do the best to date - for 190+bhp for an extra £235 - plug n play as well - take it off before it goes for a service and the waranty stays completely valid!
    The Polisher
    Turbos make things blurry

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OOOOOO tuning boxes

Do you have contact details for diagnostix?

There seems to quite a lot of difference in prices for tuning boxes/chips? Is this reflected in the quality of the products or is it a case of you pay more for a name..eg Superchips?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    check out vectra-c.com ( my brother is one of the admin, thats why i go the site) they have extensive experience with the boxes (rolling road shoot out etc). Any questions ask them as they are prob best to advise, but the most expensive is tuneit, diagnostix are £100 - £200 cheaper but perfrom just as well!!
    The Polisher
    Turbos make things blurry

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nice one..cheers for the info

had a quick look at the diagnostix website and all seems very slick, certainly worth considering.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, here's my opinion on oil changes - it's just my opinion, it may not be correct, but it's served me well.

I agree that the 20k service interval is rediculous. It's OK if you only need the engine to last to 100k.

I'd run the engine on the factory oil for the first 1000 miles. No more than that. The engine will be pretty tight and won't want to rev. Still, it's worth making full use of the rev range once it's nicely warmed up. Running in is no longer required with new engines, in my opinion. Many mechanics and engine engineers agree.

At 1000 miles do a filter and oil change. Use the oil you intend using for the life of the engine. For the 150 CDTi I'd be looking at a fully synthetic. Either Vauxhall's 0W30 Extended drain oil (specifically for the diesel Vectra), or a 5W40 fully synthetic from Silkolene or Mobil. I found a local motor factors that has a good stock of Silkolene at good prices, so I use that.

Then, change the oil and filter again at 10000 miles, and every 10k after that.
    I'd also supply your oil of choice to your dealer for use during scheduled servicing. As long as it's a GM approved oil (ACEA codes are in your service book), then they must use that oil if requested by you.

Personally, in my 2.0 DTI engine I use Silkolene XTR 10W40 semi-synthetic on a 5-6k interval. I've also used Silkolene's Turbolene DX which is the same oil with a carbon inhibitor in it, which is good for smokier engines like my own. I only use semi-synth as that what the previous owner used (he used a Mobil 10W40).
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Service interval is 30k miles!
    Despite trying my best, my 7k miler with the same engine has not needed a drop of oil yet!
    Damn good engine - One of the best fast diesels around (for sensible money).
    Ex Golf R32, now mk5 Astra Estate 1.9CDTi (150PS, 232ftlb) Design on fat alloys.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ZS...cheers for all that

Hopefully I should be able to 'feel' when the engine starts going off slightly. Certainly in my Clio as it approached 6000 it started to get kinda rough sounding, changed the oil and everything was schmoooooth

Have read varying opinions on how best to run engines in, a coomon theme seems to be give it a bit of stick after it has warmed up, may just try this approach this time.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast