Thread: Bailey versus Collins dump valves

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bailey versus Collins dump valves

Anyone know if there is any real difference between the two valves with respect to running them on a Z20LET engine?

I know everyone quotes the Bailey dump valve for Vauxhalls, and the Collins for Fords, VWs etc, and I'm running a Bailey valve with the OE valve deactivated on my turbo coupe. It only appears to vent however when the car is really booted, and there's not much chance of that on my journey to work!

A GSi I know running the same standard boost but with a Collins fitted seems to vent noisily like its running 20psi, every time the throttle is lifted even at low revs.

Therefore since a dump valve is protecting the turbo stalling etc by venting excess pressure, is the Collins better for the turbo than the Bailey?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Interesting Point mate, will wait to see what the others say
    Astra Sri Turbo

CS4 276BHP/325lbft

LMF Vauxhall - 01858 433599

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    might just be that this colins dump valve is made to sound noisier, some are manufactuer that way.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I ran a Baileys on mine but on the motorway could hear it leaking. I took it off and found the the piston would stick shut and when opened, stuck open.

I had a coliins on my Punto and loved the sound of them, so i bought one to try on the Astra. I think it sounds just as good on the Astra but dumps alot more easily and now the car feels better. I will try and get a vid.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is this collins one the same as the baileys, thought Z") LET need a certain type of dump valve to work correctly.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattcoupturbo
    Is this collins one the same as the baileys, thought Z") LET need a certain type of dump valve to work correctly.
    This what i have read, as far as i see it Regal, courtney etc.... recommend the Bailey as the only Valve to use but the collins seems to work great on my car. Maybe as they sell the Baileys, marketing???
    My car should be going on the rollers in Nov, so will see what power is like with the collins.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    altho its a diff engine i had a bailey on the c20let - springs in them are weak, so had a wallace uprated one and it was much louder - incidently i took my bailey off my z20let as it sounded weedy in my opinion which i think is charactaistic of baileys in general, it was loud with the bonnet open tho - but under driving it just didnt sound that cool. having read all the dump valve posts i decided just to remove it - seems to be pros and cons of one, none power related - chav mod in the end i spose

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 888rich
    altho its a diff engine i had a bailey on the c20let - springs in them are weak, so had a wallace uprated one and it was much louder - incidently i took my bailey off my z20let as it sounded weedy in my opinion which i think is charactaistic of baileys in general, it was loud with the bonnet open tho - but under driving it just didnt sound that cool. having read all the dump valve posts i decided just to remove it - seems to be pros and cons of one, none power related - chav mod in the end i spose
    Dump valve to prolong turbo is good enough for me. Yer the standard one will probably do the job just fine but most manufactures use plastic diaphragms and normally after a while split and leak

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a bailey on mine standard coupe and yes it leaks at high speed,i purchased a megasonic from demon tweeks and it would not dump. Found out the valve wont operate as the coupe does not have enuff boost to get it singin. now readin all thease posts on dump valves i am after 1 that is alot louder than the bailey....................and will operate, any ideas
    Remember Dave Coates
    My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have a look here. This is what i use.

http://www.mongooseexhausts.com/acat...mp_Valves.html

Will try and get a vid up soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast