Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How I got fired and was this right course of action?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How I got fired and was this right course of action?

Hi Guys,

I started a new job working for company who I shall refer to as "R". Company "R" are an IT Support Company.
    My character is quite loud and I am quite gregarious. None the less I always get the work done and work very very hard. I started with 3 other people at the same time.
    "R" sent us all on a training course, we all pissed about a bit and one of the bosses got feedback from the training course that we were like university students. We all got an informal telling off. I got kept behind and got an informal telling off for being to loud and to tone things down. I also sent an email explaining the definition of the word "shizzle" in a non offenstive manner a few days before to the whole support mailing list not realising this goes to various higher ranking members of staff too. I got told that if you do want to send email to support staff memembers just send it on a name per name basis. This was friday 30th September. I accepted this and I said that if you do have any issues with me tell me and I'll improve.
    So for the past week I've kept shtum and done my work. I sent another non offensive email asking for love advice to select members of the female workplace which happened to include one of the bosses. This was on wednesday.
    Yesterday I got called in by that boss and another boss who sacked me for my conduct inside and outside the office and for misuse of the company's email.

I happen to know now anyway this boss never liked me. To me it seems that she needed an excuse to fire me. It couldn't have been my work because I was doing the same workload as people who have been there a few years let alone one month that I had.
    She stuck me on really evil shifts or at least she was going to if I had not got sacked. EG 3pm to 11pm one day and then the next day 7 am to 3 pm.
    She sent the other 3 starters onto offsite training and she said she would send me to training in november. Before she knew about our conduct offsite.
    In the company handbook it states gross misconduct is immediate dismissal. Misdemenours have 3 warnings before dismissal irrespective of how long you have been at the company.

It seems kind of harsh just to sack me over an email without a warning too. Also when they were both dismissing me the senior boss said tell me if you want ur colleagues to know and Ill send them an email. The evil boss goes an emails them anyway as soon as I leave saying that I've gone. One of my mates there I met after he finished his work also said she told him I had been sacked. He also said that she seemed very happy.

Incidentally she had also been in a mood for the last 3 weeks because she had broken up with a long term bf. Other people who have worked there years noticed it.

Basically now, I can appeal if I want to, but I don't want my job back. I do however want to find out the exact reason for firing me and why. The evil boss has another boss who is really friendly with me and I can appeal to him if I want. However do I have grounds for unfair dismissal too?

I've tried to be as comprehensive as possible. If you want me to answer any more questions I've got all the time in the world now.
    Drives:Mazda 6 MPS- Zoom Zoom

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I feel your pain man, I got the boot from BT for internet missuse (I had come on astra sport even tho the site was not restricted and we were alloud internet usage but because I had to log on to the site and there was, back then anyway not an 18 filter on the threads which lead to me being sacked)

Basically after a fight with union looking after me I was told that I had signed the internet/e-mail misconduct contract which left me with no leg to stand on even tho it was harmless. (btw I too done my work and kept my head down)

Basically you can appeal because it does sound like you have been booted in the balls but sadly If you have signed one of those contracts they have every right to boot you..

Best bet is to find somthing else which is not going to cause you hassle I'm assuming it was through an agency or were you contracted to a company because that changes things just a little as they wouldnt have sufficent grounds for dissmisal otherwise
    -.. . - . -.-. - .. ...- . / -- --- .-. ... . / .. ... / -.. . .- -.. ?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    AHHHH! She gave me it to sign but I havent signed it! Seriously. Do I seriously have a leg to stand on if I have not signed the contracts?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes you do.... as you have not formaly agreed to adhere to the rules which THEY should make sure you sign then you should have a right to appeal...
    -.. . - . -.-. - .. ...- . / -- --- .-. ... . / .. ... / -.. . .- -.. ?

Status
    "Choking his Monkey"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Appealit. Even if you do not wan tyour job back. Appeal then quit? Quiting will look miles better to future employers than you being sacked.
    DELETED BY ADMIN -MATG

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    okay just been through an awful lot similar thing with the missus.

first off - have you not signed your contract or just the internet email code of conduct?
    if its just the code of conduct then appeal. if you haven't signed your contract and you haven't given them reasons for not doing so then you're stuffed, cos you are deemed to of been working to this subject to any changes you might want to make (btw you cannot suddenly come up with any changes at this stage!)

secondly - you need a copy of their disciplinary procedure. It MUST list internet / email abuse as gross misconduct. if not its open to interpretation - did any of the recipitents make a complaint?

if one did, then an investigation must be held followed by a hearing. the hearing must be chaired by someone not at all involved in the investigation. ALL evidence must be provided at the hearing. a judement is then made by the chair followed by punishment.

this should all be detailed in the disiplinary procedures.

if they haven't done any of this then you have grounds for an appeal

for more info check out ACAS website. unfortunately you cannot take then to tribunal as you haven't worked there long enough. plus if you appeal you do not have the tribunal stick to wave, so they may entertain your appeal but th ersult would still be the same

may i suggest in future employment that you keep your head down and suss out the place - ie make freinds and only send non work stuff to them? just an idea

hope this helps
    The Polisher
    Turbos make things blurry

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hindsight is great isnt it. This was my first job out of uni so really I was extremely wet behind the ears.

If I do appeal I don't want the job back. I've worked there less than a month and I've yet to get my p45 from my old work. I've not been taxed either in this new job.

I think I'm going to cut my loss and admit I never worked there. I can always present my old p45 from my previous employment.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    that sounds like a real plan. whilst you feel angry and annoyed at what has happened to you, "fighting" back wouldn't do you any good and would just prolong the upsetting experience. Like you say Haulme, chalk it off to experience and perhaps in the future you'll look back and think it was a positive experience as its probably enlightened you quite quickly of how work can actually be? who knows.

good luck with the job hunt mate
    The Polisher
    Turbos make things blurry

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dont fink u would have a leg to stand on as u only worked there for a mouth and if my memory serves me right both party ie company r and yourself can leave or be let go with in 3 mths.
    Coupe turbo now with front mount

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sending 'love' emails and non essential dictionary definitions to mailing lists that your not 100% sure about suggests you are childish and inaccurate. Add that to being 'gregarious' and you probably arent ticking all the 'desired traits' boxes of your superiors and the company!

I would live and learn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast