Thread: courtenays clutchs, are they any good?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

courtenays clutchs, are they any good?

My coupe is going to courtenay next week to have loads done to it, one of the things is too replace the clutch. The one they have said they will fit is the one on this page;

http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/default.htm?page=57

Now i've been wondering because its not a sachs one and seems to include both the plate and the disc. Having looked at v-tuning website they offer the sachs one with the disc and plate sold seperately. My point being that as you get both parts with the courtenay one is acutally anywhere as good as a sachs one or is it worth me getting that one instead .

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have the uprated courtenay clutch and i have had no problems with it the clutch pedal is not stiff to push down so u wont need legs like arnie to drive about town .Imo a good mod to do if u r getting the flywheel done at the same time,i have the flywheel aswell.I hope this helps.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am led to believe that the clutch Courtenay sell, is standard fitment on another car in the Vaux range, and as such is stronger than the Z20LET version.

What I will say though is, spend another 80 quid on a new release bearing, as the increased strength of the plate will finish off an old bearing quicker.

I completley agree with AberdeenGSi about the lightened flywheel, a must have whilst the gearbox is out
    Astra GSi Turbo, SOLD

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As above im having the release bearing changed as well, im pretty sure thats what has gone as my car just locks itself in reverse and tries to drive away even with clutch fully down. Do you happen to know what model this clutxh is off? Oh and im having the flywheel changed as well, no point in paying £250 labour for it twice .

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was told that the clutch was a sachs Calibra turbo item, and is better rated for the task, as with there being no wheelspin, (cos of the 4WD) the clutch will take all the hammer, and hence it has proved itself as a suitable replacement.

Hope that helps
    Astra GSi Turbo, SOLD

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    you could look for a saab one as well

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so it is a sachs one just designed for a calibra, hhhmmmmm, should be good then. Was just worried that if it was a standard one, how much punishment it will take.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Make sure you get a clutch for road use and not a paddle clutch that you must not drag as they are terrible for road use.