Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1800 Coupe

hi all

as you can probably tell from this i am not the most mechanically or technically minded person but what is the 1.8 engine in the coupes like for tuning...on a reasonable budget, i.e i'm not talking thousands

cheers
    Rich

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    the 1.8's at the RR a few weeks ago was doing 120 to 145 Bhp as std trim 145bhp was with a K&N filter
    my one was doing 132.7 bhp last year with a air filter an exhaust system
    it got 121bhp this time around as it needs a service an some good petrol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Presumeably you'll have the Z18XE engine. Depends on the age of the car but post 2000 you should have a Z18XE. This means you'll start at about 123bhp. You can get them to 180bhp but it's not cheap, not thousands but around £1500-1800 is a decent budget. First off derestrict the airbox, do a search and you'll find loads of details on that subject, K&N panle filter and the Veccy C mod and that's a good start. Not a big increase in BHP but makes the engine just feel better. GOOD aftermarket exhaust, preferably stainless as it's a fit and forget mod then. A good exhaust should get you around 135bhp like mine. After that it gets expensive, a Lexmaul stainless steel manifold will give about another 10bhp, a Dbilas inlet manifold another 20-30bhp supposedly but the exhaust manifold is £650 and the inlet over a grand. There's loads mods possible, cams, ECU remap etc but your into silly money. A good compromise would be to do all the exhaust mods and the airbox and settle for around 140-150bhp which will make a big difference in performance.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    ken the old x18 was 115bhp on the book but my one got 132.7 with just a air filter an irmy back box last year
    i have since done a cat back exhaust
    jace got 145bhp with the x18 with just a K&N and a std exhaust wow

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannysport18
    ken the old x18 was 115bhp on the book but my one got 132.7 with just a air filter an irmy back box last year
    i have since done a cat back exhaust
    jace got 145bhp with the x18 with just a K&N and a std exhaust wow
    TBH Danny I don't trust Regals RR to give accurate readings. I'm sure there's a button somewhere that puts 10% on the result so that they can justify the money you've just spent with them As for Jaces figure I'd be honest and say that doesn't look correct, a 115bhp engine with an extra 30bhp just from a K&N, mmmm something don't feel right about that figure. Even allowing for the margins in manufacture even a really good engine wouldn't be so much more than the quoted performance figures.

You ever noticed that the persons car who's booked the RR session always seems to get more BHP than they thought it would? strange isn't it, my button theory springs to mind again.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    yes i do know what you mean ken about the nice big regal RR 10% button could of been hit there
    an there is a - button there as well did you know that as a car with CS4 got 240bhp wtf it lost 10bhp for every cs sticker under the bonnet

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    LMAO Me and Danny the conspiracy merchants.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Include me in the conspiracy as well - IMO some of those figures at Regal were as over inflated as some of their prices .

I also noticed how the Courtenay car was well down on power and I've seen the self same car CTR baiting on the M1 - if defo had mare than Regal say it did.

But a rolling road can only measure power at the wheels, the rest is pretty much guess work

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg
    at Regal were as over inflated as some of their prices .
    just some try all of them £60 for a set of spark plugs