Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oil filter housing - Aussie Astra

G'day all,

I have just signed up so am very much a Newbie....(and Australian, but please don't hold that against me!).

I have a 2001 1.8 litre Astra that I have performed an oil change on a couple of weeks ago and now have a monster oil leak. It has the element type oil filter on it, and when I went to undo the cap it was bloody tight. Tight enough for the housing itself to move. Anyhoo, replaced the element, bunged a new o ring on the cap and tightened it back up. I noticed a slight leak a couple of days later, so decided to give it a bit more of a tighen up and actually managed to spin the housing around a bit more. (Looks like I have damaged the lip where it meets the engine block).

Anyhoo, I noticed a reply by DarrylB in another thread that there is a torque setting for "Oil filter housing to block bolt (element type) = 45NM / 33lbf ft".

Question is - where the hell is this bolt? Is it inside the housing? And how much trouble is it to remove the oil filter housing to replace it?

Cheers for any assistance.

Kev

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    did the same on mine a while back. from memory there is a bolt inside the housing, where the filter would go. Sure someone will correct me if im wrong tho.
    Ex Astra Coupe Driver
    Now: Audi A4 Cabriolet

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Amrik,

Thanks for that, did you fix yours yourself?

Cheers,

Kev

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Is your filter like the one in the pic?

If it is, then the black cap should be tightened as per the torque quoted by DarrylB. The "nut" is on the top of the cap. I normally just tighten by hand and they never leak.

Did you replace BOTH O-rings? There's a big one on the top of the cap, and a tiny one at the bottom which is visible when you remove the filter element.

Note, the engine pictured is a Z12XE, but the filter should be similar to your engine.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oil filter housing

ZS,

My filter is a bit smaller than that and doesn't elbow up towards the top of the motor in the same way. (Tried to post a link to pic but can't remote link to where I have the pic stored, not sure on how to post attachments here).

The motor in my Astra is a Z18XE if that's any help.

Cheers
    Kevin

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Amrik and ZS,

Thanks for previous replies. Got it sorted out. There is a bolt inside the housing, hollow with a allen head inner.

For anyone else's information, there is also an adapter listed in the Holden parts system which allows you to discard the housing (and expensive filter) and fit an ordinary external type oil filter. The wholesaler I went to for the housing (got it at trade price too!) didn't have the adapter in stock, but I will definitely be looking into it at the next service.

Cheers
    Kev

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cool, glad to hear you got it sorted.

I've never seen a Z18XE in, so I've no idea what it looks like.

Oddly, most of our engines now use the paper cartridge type filter, with only old clunkers like the 1.6 8v engine still using the "bean tin" filters. I get my paper filter for less than £3 which includes the o-rings and seals.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...