Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

SEAL - Passenger Door

Have an 'issue' with the passenger door,
    Bought my Astra MK4 Recently 2nd hand, i put a set of infinity 6500CS comps in, Thought nothing of it, set em all up, no prob, New HU, blah blah..
    Anyway
    Few weeks ago, i opened the passenger door on a wet day to remove some items from the passenger seat, and noticed a small amount of water.. well, small puddle really, and thought, maybe the seal around the door was the problem..
    But at glance, couldnt see any prob.
    Recently while doing more ICE things, the puddle appeared again, and i was determined to find the cause.. the water was coming from a little hole at the bottom of the door (looks like a drainage hole or something on the hinge side). Took the panel off and there was water drops on the back of the plastic sheet on the inside of the door.
    It seems the water is coming in from outside, on the outer seal of the door, and running down onto the speakers.. not amused.
    Anyone else had a prob like this, tryin to sus if its a common prob or not, Still relatively new to astra.
    It looks like the problem existed before i had the car, because the speaker that i took out had a dried 'water ring' on it.
    If i got a seal from a scrappers.. would it fix the prob?
    Dont fancy getting my speaker destroyed.

Cheers Guys

Ade

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Unfortunately water does do that on car doors, the seal 8is never perfect and that's why there are drain holes at the bottom.

You used to be able to get shrouds to go over the top half of the speaker to deflect water away. but I've not seen any in ages.

Moved to ICE

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok, I'll see about creating some kind of alternative water deflection.

Thanx Man,
    Ade

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wait one, mate - Our ICE god (Autosparks) might know if the shrouds are available anywhere - he knows everytihng He'll be along later

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I had this problem in my MK3. Only noticed when the sound went fuzzy in the passenger door.

One ***** speaker.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Geoff I wouldn't go that far mate

Anyway dj ade when you fitted the infinity speakers did you have the plastic membrain off at all for the crossovers or any other reason. Chances are if you did the membrain hasn't sealed properally again

As already said you won't be able to stop water getting in the door and when it does it has drain holes to go out again that are well away from any seal
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The plastic membrane stayed intact, but i did cut a small slit in the plastic for the wires coming from the back of the speaker to the crossover, but it is about 5 or 6 inches away from the speaker. The crossover is on the door panel, on the inside of the car, with holes drilled for the wires to come through for the input, tweeter and woofer, hence the slit was cut in the membrane for the wires, but the membrane does not go as far as behind the speaker.. :s Seems the water is coming in near the Mirror on the door, inside the membrane. I am quite sure now that its coming in at the seal at the bottom of the window.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im having the exact same problem with my astra sxi 99 model an its doing my head in couse i cant stop it. it f**ked my alpines up aswell any other ideas on how to sort it out.