Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Astra G - Alloy Wheels, what type?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra G - Alloy Wheels, what type?

Hi,

I am seriously considering some new alloys however I want to get the best setup which will offer good looks and performance.

I was thinking 18" alloys but then thought about costs and performance from my humble car (2.0 SRi Ecocrap) so they are out of the question.

I would love to get my hands on the Astra G GSI alloys, I think they look just right however I get the feeling the originals will cost an arm and a leg from Vox.

I am going to go for 17" alloys however will they make much difference in terms of looks considering I already have factory 16" rims on? What is the best tyre setup to go for, I have heard people mentioning wide alloys are a no no on Astra's so will a 205 or a 215 width tyre be okay?

Cheers in advance,

FZ

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    God FZ you ask a lot of questions just joking mate it's what were here for. First off you need to state whether your car is 4 or 5 stud. If it's 4 stud then no use pining after Gsi wheels as these are all 5 stud. However if yours are also 5 stud then a set of Gsi alloys or maybe a set of Turbo coupe 5 spoke alloys would be best. As for tyre choice, just use the same fitment that Vx use but with a better choice of tyre, Pirellis are good, Toyo's, Goodyear, you get my drift. Ask someone with 17" rims for their choice of tyre but expect several different answers as we all have our favourites.

If you want 18's then they come up all the time on the site, choose a set that you like, ignore what others may say about them, it's your choice that matters, select the correct tyre size, 215/35x18 and you'll be ok. I have Pirelli P7000s on my 18" wheels and I love them, wet or dry they are great, however they've been replaced by Pirelli P Zero Nero and they are supposedly even better. Don't take my choice as the only choice though, ask around and pick the ones you think are best for your style of driving.

So 17s or 18s. Balance the equation by thinking of other things. 18s look better but cost more to buy usually, they also cost more for tyres when replacing them. 17s look fine as well, maybe not as good as 18s but they are cheaper to buy and maintain. Your choice.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Oddjob, FZ says he's got a 2.0 SRi. So 5 studs then.

Get some 18"s, they don't cost much more than 17"s and that extra 1" make all the difference in filling the aches and looking right.

If you go for 17"s you'll always look at you car and wish you'd gone for 18"s.

Performance wise they won't make that much difference anyway.

Tyrewise see ^^^

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Haha,

If you go for 17"s you'll always look at you car and wish you'd gone for 18"s.
    Good answer mate, I was thinking that as well and I found a really good deal on some 18" Konig wheels (silver-black finish) + budget tyres (not bothered about tyres as a matey boy can sort me out with some fresh pirelli's or pilots).

Yeah car is 5 stud model - speaking of wheels, would it be possible to stick some 308mm Astra Coupe disc's on the front (and maybe back) to fill up the huge space that will be left behind)?

"Ask questions or you will not have the answers, ask too many and you will have a bloody nose" - Zen Master Dave (the fat bloke at the pub)

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Fitting bigger brakes, can be done. I don't know what involved tho.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by finalzero
    Yeah car is 5 stud model - speaking of wheels, would it be possible to stick some 308mm Astra Coupe disc's on the front (and maybe back) to fill up the huge space that will be left behind
    Converting to 308mm discs is a fairly easy mod. Never spotted the Sri referance in your original post, even if I had I'd still have confirmed the 5 stud question as I wouldn't have been certain it had 5 studs as I wasn't really conversant with Astras of that age.

You'll need a set of 308 discs, a set of 308 caliper carriers and a set of pads off a Gsi. Strangely enough I have all of those as I picked them up the other day off a Turbo Coupe. PM me if you are interested and we'll discuss a price.

Oh the turbo uses the same rear disc as all the other ABS Astras. 256mm IIRC.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I've got 17s and I can safely say that I have never looked at them and wished I'd gone for 18s. I think the 17s fit with the car better than any 18s I could have chosen (apart from perhaps Byron's old wheels or some BBS ones).

And yes, 308mm front brake upgrade is do-able, I've also done that with relative ease.

Steve
    Nova Merit: 2000-2003 // Irmschered Astra SRi: 2003-2005 // Leon Cupra R: 2005 - 2006 // Linea Rossa Convertible Turbo: 2006-2008 // BMW 840Ci: 2008 - 2012

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjflat
    I've got 17s and I can safely say that I have never looked at them and wished I'd gone for 18s.
    There's always an exception to every rule.

Did you consider 18"s at all Dave? Or if you only went with 17"s in mind you'd be happy with them.

I know a few Astra drivers who went for 17" rims after considering 18"s and wished they'd gone bigger.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keif
    There's always an exception to every rule.

Except that rule of course!
    Nova Merit: 2000-2003 // Irmschered Astra SRi: 2003-2005 // Leon Cupra R: 2005 - 2006 // Linea Rossa Convertible Turbo: 2006-2008 // BMW 840Ci: 2008 - 2012

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Where do you stop though Keif, if you have 18s do you think "wish I'd got 19s" I've never regreted buying my 18s but as I picked up a set of 17 Astra Coupe 5 spoke wheels the other day I was seriously considering going down in size not up. Ended up selling them though as the buyer decided he wanted them more than I did

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast