Thread: lpg conversion

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

lpg conversion

im thinking about converting my car over to this. has anyone bought the parts seperate and then got a shop to do it to save money or fitted it themselves or is it cheaper to get a shop to supply and fit?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I bought a complete kit off of e-bay, including a 60 litre tank for £350.
    I sold the Land Rover before fitting it, but the cheapest and safest way to get the kit installed would be to fit as much as you and your mates feel comfortable with, and then let a proffessional finish it off. For example, the tank is very simple, as is just mounting the regulator, fitting the pipes isn't too bad, but I would have left the wiring of the changeover switch to a proper fitter as I'm c**p at vehicle electrics.
    I bought my wife a Golf a few weeks ago for £400, already fitted with LPG> The car does over 200 miles to a tank, and that costs about £12.50 to fill.
    Hope that is some help.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive looked on ebay but cant find any kits, can you show me which one you got

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i hear that you can get a grant to do this??? I do a lot of miles each week and this would be the better option for me.

Will this damage the performance in my car at all?
    Midnight Black Astra SXi 1.6 16v
    • 0-60 mph: 10.5s
    • Power Output: 98bhp
    • Torque: 150 Nm
    • Torque: 110 lb/ft
    • Top Speed: 117 mph
    ..VeNoM..

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    performance is about 5% down thats all

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    they have stopped the grants at the momment there not giving any until next year now

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I could live with losing 5%.. it's not like i use my car for racing

Shame about those grants though... think i'll be looking in to it when the grants come about again as it would be worth investing in something like this
    Midnight Black Astra SXi 1.6 16v
    • 0-60 mph: 10.5s
    • Power Output: 98bhp
    • Torque: 150 Nm
    • Torque: 110 lb/ft
    • Top Speed: 117 mph
    ..VeNoM..

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry, I can't find the seller that I bought the kit off, but if you do a search on e-bay from the home page, you'll find a few kits on there. It would be worth e-mailing the sellers,because a lot of them have other kits for sale. There is a twin tank conversion for a Range Rover on at the moment that seems to be struggling to get much over £300....a lot cheaper than the £2000 it would cost in a garage.
    The amount of power drop depends on the engine its fitted to. Years ago I drove a 1300 Marina, and it was quicker on gas than on petrol. Becci's Golf has quite a noticeable power drop though. VX quote a 3% power drop in their brocures, but realistically I would expect to lose between 5% and 10%.
    As far as I can remember, the grants were for brand new cars only...nothing for secondhand !
    If you do decide to get a kit, make sure(stating the obvious) that you get the one to match your fuel delivery system-carb. or efi, and there are two types of tank availablene is the usual cylinder type that you would mount across the car against your back seat, the other is a toroidal type, which is designed to fit into the spare wheel well, then all you have to do is find a space for the spare.