Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lucas Rear Brakes Fitted = A Handbrake At Last + Other Bits :)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New Lucas Rear Brakes Fitted = A Handbrake At Last + Other Bits :)

Hi all,

During sunday I replaced my knackered Bosch rear calipers with a set of second hand Lucas units which I have cleaned up and painted.

Fitted new GM pads and disks and brake fluid aswell

And by doung this I have cured my problem of having no handbrake

No mods needed to get them to fit, used the existing handbrake cable as it is the same part number aswell, plug and play

Piccys -

The old Bosch units (taken whilst painting them when I first got the car)

1 Lucas Caliper cleaned and painted

Again

Both units

New GM Disks and Pads

Also fitted a new 120 Amp alternator which I bough from eBay as my one was shagged lol, the old one whistled when turning it by hand The 120a unit was a direct replacement for the 100a unit fitted to the car already (100a units where fitted to most Astras with Air-Con)
    I had problems with my Coolant Temperature Sensor which was causing the car to run really badly and making the fans run almost constanly, the sensor also caused major overfueling, when I removed the plugs they where dripping lmao

All this because of this sensor going wrong (inside the sensor is a resistor which increases and decreases the resistance of the circuit to the fan when the coolant gets hot and cold. When its really hot I guess there is less resistance causing the current to flow to the fan.

The faulty sensor

Found here

New 120a Alternator

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Glad to see the calipers scrubbed up well and that it cured the no handbrake problem. I'd say that was a result. If you ever see the damper mod on E-Bay get it. Not exactly sure what it does TBH but it will replace the handbrake bracket with a nice shiny new one at least.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    there a right b***h to wind back aint they mate???

MK4 1.8 16V Sport and MK5 CDTi Estate

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yea, i saw one a while back, but run out of moneys

thnaks for the calipers matey worked a treat

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selblock
    Yea, i saw one a while back, but run out of moneys

thnaks for the calipers matey worked a treat
    No problem, guess who just found another set and a set of Gsi calipers and discs
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I need some GSi carriers, and then i will get some 308mm front disks.

The actual calipers on a GSi are the same as one my 2ltr arent they? Its just the carriers that are different right?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Correct mate, so long as your on 5 stud fronts all you'll need to convert to turbo spec is a set of 308mm discs, 308mm pads and a set of Gsi carriers. The calipers will fit.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    will you be splitting the carriers ken?

MK4 1.8 16V Sport and MK5 CDTi Estate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure what I'm doing with them yet Luke. As my Brembos have gone belly up for the time being I may fit them myself for a while. The calipers will be useful for someone who's fitting 308mm discs on a 4 stud Astra as their calipers won't fit the Gsi carriers. I haven't picked them up yet, only found them today via the phone. Carriers are around £40 new from Vx BTW.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob
    Carriers are around £40 new from Vx BTW.
    may just get them new then, seeing as i get trade club anyhoo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast