Thread: Very Strange Noise When Cold - Help Needed

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Very Strange Noise When Cold - Help Needed

For the last few months I've had a very strange noise from the engine when cold, and it seems to be getting louder. It completely disappears after about 3 to 5 minutes, i.e. when the engine warms up. It is a cross between a whinning noise and a tapping noise, and is getting embarrasing. At first I thought it was the connection between the turbo and the down pipe, but I've replaced this gasket and tightened this, and still happening. The revs seem fine when cold or hot, and there seems to be no difference to performance once it is hot.

If I leave the engine for any more than 10 minutes, the noise returns when started again, until the engine is again warmed up.

My guess is this could either be a manifold gasket problem, or a problem with the tappets (if the Z20LET has them?). I can't specifically smell any exhaust gases in the engine bay, nor see any smoke.

Is the manifold easy to get to and check?
    or
    Is there anything I can do to check the tappets (if it has them)?

Does the Z20LET have an EGR valve? Had one of these go on my Vectra V6, although can't remember if it made the noise when warm?

My thoughts are that it can't be anything to do with the alternator or water pump as the noise disappears when warm. Am I right in thinking this?

Any help before I take it down to VX would be greatly appreciated.

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I thought this was the hydraulic tappets being noisy untill filled up and lubed.......

Mine (1.6 16v )is tappy when first started and it disappears after warming up...

although I'm probably totally wrong.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, good news is I now know what the noise is, bad news is that one of the manifold bolts has snapped off and needs drilling out. Ouch.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ouch, bad news about the bolts.

Mine does something like the same, but it only blows for the first 30 seconds when I start it from cold. I think i will live with it for now
    Astra GSi Turbo, SOLD

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Apparently it is a VERY common problem on the 2 litre engines, so more than likely the same problem. Vauxhall have just quoted me over £500 to do the work. I've ordered the parts, manifold gasket (appox £10), 10 x studs (approx £0.50 each), 10 x nuts (approx £1.20 each), and I've got an engineer doing the work tomorrow. Will hopefully not come to more than £100 in total, but we will see.

I would recommend taking a look m8, as apparently the main problem is the 2 nuts nearest to the timing belt not being tightened up when new, so leading to them snapping in latter life. It is always these 2 that go. You may save yourself some bother in 6 to 12 months time, as it will get worse.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Emm I had this problem on my 02 zaffy gsi and yes it is embarrasing esp when it is a nearly new car and ppl are looking at you as if to say whats that old banger.

Any way vaux fixed this under warranty on mine has the bolt had not snapped off it had just come loose(one neariest cambelt...vaux said they haven't had any like that before

Got an even worse noise now brake squeal HAAAAAAAA. Doesn't happen when stopping just when moving and turning corners it gets louder. Well pissed off cos vaux just say its the disks and pads ive put in...ive told them they are Mintex items and they just said if they were genuine vaux items it wouldn't happen, ye right what ever bothered.
    200hp of blue muscle bus

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Never heard this problem on a ZLET, but very common on the X20XEV.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortyzafgsi
    Got an even worse noise now brake squeal HAAAAAAAA. Doesn't happen when stopping just when moving and turning corners it gets louder. Well pissed off cos vaux just say its the disks and pads ive put in...ive told them they are Mintex items and they just said if they were genuine vaux items it wouldn't happen, ye right what ever bothered.
    That's balls. My car has Vxl front discs and pads and new rear pads 6000 miles ago. When the brakes are warm it sounds like an old Black Cab or a bus coming to a stop.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had same on mk4 gsi, was manifold gasket! got it sorted under warenty! result!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Morty - stupid question, when you changed out the disks and pads did you whack some copper grease into where the pads make contact with the caliper/piston etc? If not get some in there, when I fired a set of Mintex Pads all round and Brembo/Courtenay Disks on (with a very minor smearing of Copper Grease) the back end squealed away after a few hundred miles, pulled them off, added a bit more copper grease and no mouse hiding under the rear arches since...
    www.jon44w.com NI's #1car and cruising site

My Photography site www.bazpics.com

Coupe and Mk5 now gone....2006 5.7 CV8Z Monaro now my daily driver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast