Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just had my service and MOT today.....

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Down Just had my service and MOT today.....

4th service so all the usual stuff done but they called me and said that my front discs were lipped and that they'd need replacing.....

What the hell does lipped mean?

Whole service cost me £486!!!!!!
    Midnight Black 1.6 16v SXi

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Means they are worn basically.

Did that £486 include changing them and i presume they done the cambelt and water pump otherwise you have just been shafted m8.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i think it means they arent wearing right at the edges so the center is more worn than the edge. Thats all i think it can mean anyway?!
    Drives: 1999 Astra 1.8 16v Sport 120bhp!!! (est)

(\__/)
    (='
    .'=)
    This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny intoyour signature to
    (")_(")help him gain worlddomination.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nope....no cambelt!!! Did air con service for £100, service was £150 ish brakes etc must have made up most of the rest!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It does mean the everything is new so painting the calipers will be easy! No scrubbing required?!

Status
    Pipsqueak
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Masonga
    Whole service cost me £486!!!!!!
    £486!!! why in the name of the holy one does it cost that much just for a service?? What did they do like? - replace everything?
    I dont own a vauxhall, i own another vw

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mines just had a full service and MOT and cost me £170 inc VAT. Add £100 for a aircon service, which you probably didn't need BTW and £50 for a pair of discs and pads and you've still been robbed. NEVER trust a dealer to tell you the condition of your brakes, they usually lie to get you to part with more money. If in doubt check them yourself and then either get them replaced if needed or do it yourself.

I'd study that bill and see where your money supposedly went.

Lipped BTW means the top edge has less wear than the centre section. Caused by the top edge not being swept by the pads, which is normal. All discs are lipped to some extent except brand new ones of course. So long as the centre section is within the wear limits they are quite safe. When the centre section wears to a certain minimum thickness then you need to change the discs and pads.

Painting the calipers is still gonna be a bitch as they haven't touched the calipers, just replaced the discs and pads. You'll still need to wire wheel or sand all the crap off the calipers before you paint them I'm afraid. Unless they replaced the calipers of course which is very doubtful but would explain the extortionate cost.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J SE 2.0CDTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    WHAT!!! i just bought 2 new 256mm vented discs and a set of pads, the discs were £25....the pads were about £17.....and fitting was feck all cos i did that with some assistance to shove pistons back into the callipers with a g-clamp while opening the bleed nipple (the brake fluid tank had been filled right to the top when i got the car) Also to help bleed the brakes after being fitted up.
    And pushed them back in after fitting new discs on....slipped pads in and bolted the whole lot back together.

Oh and lipped.......i dont know what happened with the old discs, but the insides of each disc were rusted up by about 15mm....while outside didnt have any.....and the rust had worn the pads down.

I'd agree with some and say that so long as the discs were still quite thick....and didnt shudder under breaking that they'd have been fine.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well dealer discs are around £80. pads £40 i think. So...£120 for the parts plus 1.5 hours labour at £60 hr (yes i know it doesn't take that long) is £210 plus the AC service is £310 plus the £150 for the service is £460. I think you still got robbed though. Did it need the AC service? £55 near me for it and the brakes? Well i would have wanted to see them first.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Pads and discs are on offer at the moment from dealers. Part of an incentive to get people to replace them. Around £50 for the discs and pads is my recollection of the price, all parts are genuine Vx parts. 1.5hrs sounds about right, a dealer in the past rang me to say my pads and discs were so worn they were dangerous, I had to remind them that they had replaced the exact same discs and pads 3 months previously at which point he apologised and shut up. NEVER trust the dealer to tell the truth about brakes, they are after easy money as most people just say to replace them as they are scared of brake faults.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast