Thread: 1.8 engine components

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.8 engine components

Has anyone replaced engine components not usually covered in the manufacturers service schedule?

Iam at a stage where Iam looking for things to do with the car to keep it mint. One thing Iam going to do is the gearbox oil as this isnt covered at service. Anything else you can think of that the car will noticeably benefit from?

Another annoying trate of the 1.8 is its noisey engine. when I first bought the car at 13,500miles it was as quiet as a mouse although its got a horrible worn out sound when at high running temperatures. For example, just after a blast down a country road in the height of summer when outdoor temperatures are highier. Ive located this to be from around the belts so could it be the water pump? I believe this is common on the 1.8 and you could say my car is a low miler with only 45,000 miles at S reg!
    Cheers Rich.
    http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=yfn4l...x=400&oq=0
    North East Regional OrganiserClickHERE For The Regional Forum!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    wouldnt bother mate, wont make your car worth any more really, if it starts and drives smooth, with no real flat spots then its all ok, waste of money IMO

MK4 1.8 16V Sport and MK5 CDTi Estate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    take off the belt that power the Alternator an see it that stops it ??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pardoe16V
    wouldnt bother mate, wont make your car worth any more really, if it starts and drives smooth, with no real flat spots then its all ok, waste of money IMO
    Not trying to add value pardoe just keep me cars in top nick

could try that danny, going to strip off the throttle body tomorrow and possibly drill that breather pipe if I feel its worth it on close inspection. let you know how it goes.
    Cheers Rich.
    http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=yfn4l...x=400&oq=0
    North East Regional OrganiserClickHERE For The Regional Forum!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i still dont think its worth the bother mate, i agree with what your doing thou trying to keep it in sound mechanical order, but if it common you will end up spending money over and over again as the fault will re occur, personally i would do the gear box oil every 40K or so. vx do spend loads of money on testing each engine they make to check what goes wrong and what is worth changing in every service. spend your money pn a nice dblais manifold!!!!! lol your engine thou mate, all my personal opinion, dont take offence if i sound negative!!!

MK4 1.8 16V Sport and MK5 CDTi Estate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    take the belt off is a 2 min job an start the car if there is no sound with the belt off its
    to do with the aircon or the Alternator
    i need to get a new Alternator for me car