Thread: Crankshaft pulley not spining right.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Crankshaft pulley not spining right.

Hello,

I have a bit of a problem and maybe some of you can give me an experience based advice.

I have a 2.2l Z22SE bertone coupe 2001 with 150.000 KM and here's what happened:

- i changed my oil (Castrol RS as usual). I change my oil frequently so I'm not abusing my engine as the oil is concerned.

- I used for the first time an engine flush that mentioned to leave it for 3 minutes and on cold engine. I went to the garage and the mechanic couldn't wait until my engine got cold so we put it in when it was hot and followed the procedure.

- I changed my spark plugs and the ones that OPEL gave me had a longer filament than the ones I had before which were NGK.
    - I also noticed that the Crankshaft pulley is not spinning round but has a bit of an 8 in it.

I only noticed a clicking noise coming from the engine itself (not from the valve at the air box) only after I made about 100 KM on full power.

Also want to mention that my alternator is on its way to the junk yard because of the whine.

The clicking noise sounds just like tappets but there are only two alternating 'clicks' and they 'grow' with the revs but just until 2000 RPM(or at least i can't hear them after that).

No 'Check engine' light appeared nor the power changed and the oil is brand new and exactly the amount it should be.

Could the water pump be on its way or you think the new spark plugs may be the problem, the chain distribution or the crankshaft pulley ?

I tried recording the sound but no luck, I also have another exhaust and it is quite difficult to filter the clicks.

I appreciate your help!

(Really hope it's not related to the pistons or anything inside the engine!)

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like it could be either the hydrolic tappets or the chain/tensioner.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I changed the new OPEL spark plugs with the old ones which are shorter and it doesn't do it anymore.

When i took the new spark plugs out i found some fine brown dust on the ceramics and on the electric module rubber(that goes over the sparkplugs). What could this powder be?

Anyway for now it doesn't 'click' anymore but i would like some adice on the Crankshaft pulley that is not spinning perfectly right now.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It sounds like the rubber centre on the crank pulley has perished/split, thus causing it to wobble.

A new one should easily sort that wee problem out

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had the same prob on my own motor. Rubber had perished just like Ffoeg said. As far as I know a replacement one has a superceeded part number as they changed the design of the crank pulleys a bit to counteract this problem.
    CraggY

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks ! I'll change that ASAP.