Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tyre Advice Anyone, Please? (Urgent Grip Needed, Read Within)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J SE 2.0CDTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tyre Advice Anyone, Please? (Urgent Grip Needed, Read Within)

Hey guys, had torential rain here today.....setting off steady has even been a nightmare, i know its been greasy because it hasnt rained for a while here.
    But at the point of setting off to turn today had only just started turning with the clutch slipping still the front end was slippin out at about 5-10mph through a 90 degree bend.....set off at the next junction dipping the clutch 3 times to regain grip.
    If id have been harsh on the throttle then fair enough....i wouldnt complain.....but i dont like to think what would happen in the wet if i needed to stop quick!

The tires are pretty grippy in the dry though....theres 3 Darkhorse tyres on atm and a Mangoo :S the Darkhorse ones have about 2.5mm tread left.

Looking into putting some decent tyres on this weekend.....dont think im putting alloys on it for a while now.....and if i did go to alloys id probably have tyres switched over.

So my question to you ppl is what type of tyre do you recommend....im running on 195/50/R15 tyres atm and intend to keep the same size tyres on.

Been looking at Bridgestone Potenza RE720 tyres.....as they are rated by ReinFest on mytyres.co.uk to have exceptional grip in the dry and very good grip in the wet, braking and cornering.....the tyres are £31.70 a corner inc VAT and P+P but i would need them fitting.

Any other tyres out there that have exceptional handling characteristics in both wet and dry and in braking conditions be it steady or harsh in the worst case scenario.

Many Thnx In Advance!

Browny_37

Status
    Cameron Ginger Diaz
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The Bridgestone is a very good tyre particulary the RE720 Potenza - I have just had the new Potenza Re050s put on the 888 and cannot fault them. If you specifically need a tyre for wet - then uniroyal would be something to consider.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J SE 2.0CDTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi GSILady.....thnx for your input.......The Bridgestone seems to be the tire of choice atm....needing grip in the dry and wet....and a fairly wear resistant tire.......Toyo's dont seem to be very wear resistant to the reviews ive seen on mytyres.co.uk.

I've never braked harsh in the wet yet, so i gave it a try earlier at 30mph in wet and it was just too easy to lockup the wheels Didnt even have to push hard on brake pedal.

I'm afraid that cheap tyres dont cut it in stopping situations especially...in wet weather.
    Will be avoiding the cheap brands in the future if i can afford to put some decent boots on the car.

Status
    Cameron Ginger Diaz
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's worth to shell out than compromise safety.....our tyres normally work out at £105 per boot! But having said that-they do last

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J SE 2.0CDTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yea.....just done my front brakes up aswell new discs and pads.....and they brake very strongly now

Shame tyres cant take it......one thing that makes me wonder is some ppl rate the Pirrelli P6000 tires quite well....but according to mytyres there not all that good

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Take a look at Uniroyal Rainsport 1's - excellent in the wet or dry and aften overlooked in favour of other more "fashionable" tyres.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Toyo Proxes - have them on my Polo and cant fault them, much better than the Dunlops i had on there before

Pirelli P Zeros are another good tyre

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J SE 2.0CDTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thnx for input guys/gals.......you having msn trouble Geoff?

I've looked at uniroyal.......but there not a brand ive heard of.....and dont think id like to trust the judgement on buying some tires, which i could do without buying (financially) but for the sake of my safety, its going to have to be shod with some new boots....winters closing in and its not going to be dry forever
    Never known anyone personally thats had them on there car....and looking at other tyres on other cars i dont seem to see many uniroyals fitted tbh.

Think its looking like Bridgestones atm tbh....wouldnt mind it if there was some Avon ZZ1 tires for my car.......i've been in a car with those tyres on and it handled the road brilliantly!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    got uniroyal rainsports on mine, £70 a tyre it was 4 me, nice grip on them in wet and dry and dont wear as much as others

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've ran Uniroyals for over 20 years on every car I've owned - as soon as the original tyres are worn - on go the Uni's. I've no need to look else where cos, they do exactly what I want them to do.

MSN is fine BTW - Just come back after a week away

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast