Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Electrical?

Hey peeps,

Need some help... Just recently my car has started playing up, well it's material issues really, but it could be worse.

Now, if you turn the ignition off and open the drivers door, you get a tone telling you that you have left your keys in.

Now if I remove my keys, it continues to make this sound, until I either close the door or wait at least 30 seconds and then it gives up.

Not sure why, although I have an electrical problem that will be sorted soon, in which I need to rewire my radio so that it stores my radio stations and last played cd/track.

Anyone know why?

Gav

Rosco83
    im unsure about this key thing, as my friends 98 vectra does this... he gets anoyed because mine works. i have a feeling it could be dirty contacts or something in the steering coloum bit?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmmm, as I can understand if the key was left in and sometimes the ignition block ( the part that you push in to turn the key ) sticks but moving the steering wheel a little stops that. But it's silly as it's only been doing it since i installed my new ice.

Gav

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I think the problem is linked to the way your stereo is wired up and when thats fixed the problem will go away. It sounds to me like the permanant live and accessory are back to front and when all is turned off slowly drains down the accessory wire making you car think the keys are still in the ignition
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's annoying, I need to get the wiring diagram for my head unit so that it acts the same as if it was a cdr-500.

I am looking for anything that when I remove the keys it turns the radio off ( which it does ) but still retains the settings, it's annoying when you pop to the shop and you were listening to a great track on a cd or a radio station and when you get back in, you have to start all over again, tune into the radio station manually or skips through the cd's and tracks to get back to the song you liked.

Gav

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What headunit have you got??

There are usually 2 power wires connected to the radio and one earth.
    Normally a RED, a GREEN, and earth is black.

One or the power wires will be labelled MEM (Memory) or POWER... Or similar.
    The other will be labelled ACC (Accessory) or IGNITION...Or similar.

One gives constant power to the radio, while the other connects to your ignition accessory supply.
    Opel Owners' Club SA Forums

2002 Astra Coupe Turbo Phase 3

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Autosparks
    I think the problem is linked to the way your stereo is wired up and when thats fixed the problem will go away. It sounds to me like the permanant live and accessory are back to front and when all is turned off slowly drains down the accessory wire making you car think the keys are still in the ignition
    The above does cause the keys left in ignition warning to sound if you've wired the stereo up wrong. I had this on mine till I swapped the power feeds over (red and yellow wires I believe.)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it's a sony head unit, with a 10 disc cd changer, can't remember off the top of my head i'll get you it later.

Gav