Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

engine conversion costs

trying to weigh up again if it viable to keep my car at the moment,
    so far I need to spend another 2k to get the interior and exterior how I want it at a estimate, now I need to work out how much its going to cost me to get the engine out and replaced with a more suited engine.

Criteria that must be kept is
    4 stud wheels. Not a major issue as a 308 mm breaks are avalible and rear disks from a 1.8 should be sufficent.
    Must be around the 200 break mark
    so for a complete conversion including suspension ect, how much would I expect to pay for it to be done by a proper firm not some monkeys who give the illision they know what they are doing

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The cheapest conversion would be a Z20LET IMHO.

Slot straight in, gear box will be fine and the engine would hopwfully be relativly new (so no re-build cost).

So say max £2000 for the engine, £500 coilovers, £300 breaks (upgrade like you say), then the actually fitting which could be £2000 max?

You are looking at a max of £5000 I reckon, however you could do it cheaper and hope for the best with a C20LET and hope the engine is fine and drop it in. Doing it that way you would be better of doing what Byron did and buy a running turbo and strip it, make some money of the parts and get a cheap C20LET in good running order.
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    heres me brett: engine £400 ecu £250 but still need a turbo £800.
    ive budgetted £500 for the breaks
    £500 for coilovers and i know people who know people who would probably help me put it in for £500
    Car broken- A3 170 quattro s-line

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MatG
    The cheapest conversion would be a Z20LET IMHO.
    That wouldn't work Mat as one of his main criteria points was retaining the 4 stud wheels and he'd have to use the driveshafts from the LET and this I think means he needs to use the 5 stud hubs that mate with them.
    £300 for brakes then becomes £500+ as that's what LMF sell them for. Unless you know of somewhere cheaper of course

Andy don't forget stuff like gaskets, oil, intercooler, hoses etc. Surprising how quickly the costs add up. Nearly had a standard intercooler for £2.50 the other week but lost out at the last minute.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    C20XE running throttle bodies?
    Nova Merit: 2000-2003 // Irmschered Astra SRi: 2003-2005 // Leon Cupra R: 2005 - 2006 // Linea Rossa Convertible Turbo: 2006-2008 // BMW 840Ci: 2008 - 2012

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Up to you brett, although the C20LET would need a good rebuild at the age they are now.

We now have a mk4 astra locally running a C20XE. wanna see what they have done for the mounts.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no matter what you do i think the 5 stud hubs are gonna need to be used, the 1.8's on have the 5 stud hub,

MK4 1.8 16V Sport and MK5 CDTi Estate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im looking at getting a V6 and either Turbo or supercharder for it looking at around £2k max for the engine £4k for a Supercharger from Regal for a X25XE and then about £2.2k for a set of GT3 4pots so looking ata bout £8.2k so in total ill be spending about £9k as ill get a few more bits put in aswell and i should be looking at around the 290bhp+ area

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Chewitt - one thing you missed from your list - fitting costs of the above - £5000.
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    na i wont pay for fitting as my dad is an engineer and im a mechanic ive got all the stuff to do it with in my garage so will save the £5k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast