Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra 1.7td mk3 problem

Hi everyone

i recently bought a 1.7td isuzu astra and i have had nothing but problems with it don't know if anyone can help me.

First off i had a problem with the temp rising to over 100 and into the red and the fan not kicking in so i went and got a new switch for the rad put it in and the fan would not switch off tho temp was still rising to 100 then found out that the switch was the wrong one and was off a vectra so i change it to the tidy switch and now the fan is not working again.

Also i have got a problem with the battery losing charge the light is flickering on the dashboard when accelorating and there is a clicking and the rev counter is going nuts at the same time and then the car will die

i am totally baffled at this problem sorry for the essay on my car

thank you

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone know what it might be ????

fastfrank
    Hello Andrea,

I'm sorry this isn't much help but maybe it'll make you feel better. I am looking at a problem on my brothers 1.7TD Isuzu'd engine Astra (199 at the moment which has very similiar problems:

• Engine oil pressure light flickering
    • Rev counter randomly moves about
    • Engine fan doesn't come on despite being at high near 100 degrees.
    So far I've tested the far by disconnecting the switch and shorting out the connection so we know it works.

What i do know is that water pumps are common problems on these cars but the darn thing resides behind the cam belt cover so its not ideal to check.

Will post up if I find out more

Frank

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank You

fastfrank

Part resolution/advice :-)

Hello Andrea,

Today i have managed to fix the oil pressure light which was constantly flickering. I located the oil pressure switch and traced the wire back to the main loom (just above the clutch linkage on top of the gear box). Inspected further and noticed the wire (which is a blue colour) had been rubbing on the gearbox cover so much so the shielding had worn off exposing the raw wires thus intermittently earthing the switch whilst driving (oil pressure light flashing). I spliced into the wire, cleaned it up/soldered and put it back together - fixed.

As for the other two issues: Radiator fan not coming on and rev counter jumping about I have some more info:

Rad Fan, I also changed the brass switch in the radiator for a new unit today. Left the engine idling for 'ages' but still it wouldn't come on!!! Consulting the manual it said the switch is only triggered at 100 degrees which I've not managed to reach yet - its just never gets that hot! I'll assume the old fan switch is ok because the fan does come on if you bodge the connector with paper clip. It sounds to me that your rad switch is broken so you should source the correct one for your car, after all you proved the fan works by the fact it came on with the wrong switch fitted! : The switch I bought was from Motorworld - Intermotor branded part# 50194 - costs £16.99.

Rev counter, this is a weird one. Its completely random when it occurs and hoped it was linked to the oil pressure light problem buts its not - it still happens. One thing I did notice is that it stops when the full beam is turn on which says to me it could be a earthing issue around the alternator - I'm going to locate and clean up these points which I'm hoping it should relieve the issue. I think your problem is very likely to be surrounding the alternator. Put a meter across your battery before you start your car - check the voltage - turn it on - you should see the voltage increase to around 13.5v - if not, your alternator is more than likely to be at fault. Incidentally the alternator controls the rev counter - if your alternator belt snaps the rev's don't work. Alternators are a common problem on Astra's - every one I went to look at has had this changed at some stage!

Hope this helps, if you need anymore advise drop me a mail.

Frank

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mental rev counter could be down to the rectifier on the alternator on its way out, look out for random battery light illumination. I had a cav with the isuzu engine in that did this was followed shortly afterwards with both my dip headlamps going off like a camera flash one morning when the rectifier died completly
    White Mk3 Van Man

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Although unlikely, it could be as simple as a slipping fan belt.
    Black 2.0 DTi SXI Mk 4 3 door