Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: British Sign Language - anyone familiar?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question British Sign Language - anyone familiar?

Or even American Sign Language

anyone familiar with communication with Deaf ppl?

if not but you would like to learn to fingerspell ur name, or learn before u meet me, u can ask me at TRAX

Although.... most ppl when wanting to learn sign language actually want to fingerspell their name (if its really short) they'd prefer to learn RUDE sign language first.....

examples of sign language hearing ppl want to learn first before anything else....

[code]"F*** YOU" (this is one of the most popular sign language [90% of the time anyway] ppl want to learn)
    "Sh!t"
    "BullSh!t"
    "A55hole"[/code]

So if you would like to learn sign language, come find me, and talk slowly and clearly, but not too slowly or overreact with clearly...

i rely on lipreading so PLEASE do not cover your mouth

It really would help if someone can sign on sunday but i am more than happy to teach you whatever you like in sign language.... choice is entirely yours.

PS my main language is BSL/SSE (British Sign Language/Sign Supported English)

PPS not sure where to put this but this is general and for ppl at TRAX who will bump into me or other deaf ppl at meets

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hello Mr Hatter.

I used to work with a totally deaf guy.

Speaking clearly so i can be lip read was second nature to me at one time, and a few hand signals always made talking to him a laugh.

He had a very crude sense of humour, so any thing was possible.

He retired a few years back but i bumped into him in a pub this year. He's still as funny as f**k.

Always wanted to be able to sign, but never had the patience to sit and learn it.

I'll see you at Trax.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Jo would like to learn the rudimentaries (not the RUDEimentaries) as being a teacher every now and again a deaf student comes through the school. Come and say hello at Trax - we will remember to announciate and not cover our mouths.
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    In my last job I worked with 2 people with hearing difficulties, one of which was profoundly deaf.

She taught me some BSL, I already knew my alphabet. I know a few basic phrases and she was sure to teach me the swearies which strangely enough are the ones I find easiest to remember.

The other guy I worked with who had partial hearing thanks to his hearing aids was able to sign in about 5 different languages including BSL and ASL which was fascinating but difficult to follow if he suddenly decided to switch dialect half way through a conversation.

I did buy a book with the intention of taking courses in BSL but I have yet to sign up.
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what a shame i`m not going to trax we could of had a bit of a convo i`m a bit rusty but i know sign language my kids can all sign their names and know the alphabet

Mothers with teenagers know why animals eat their young

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchpoo
    Jo would like to learn the rudimentaries (not the RUDEimentaries)
    Are you sure? the temptation is always there.... hehe.... thats fine...

sure i'll come say 'lo ! look forward to meeting you

One thing - the vowels are REALLY easy to remember - A, E, i, O, U - if you're right handed, put right index finger on your left thumb, thus being "A", or right index finger on your left index finger thus being "E" and i'm sure u can work the rest out.... but if you're left handed, its just the opposite

Will test you on Sunday

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxy
    the swearies which strangely enough are the ones I find easiest to remember.
    Yup that usually happens try them out with me sunday? promise i wont laugh

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjzac
    Yup that usually happens try them out with me sunday? promise i wont laugh
    LOL thanks!

Thats always been something thats worried me, attempting to sign and making a complete mess of it and wound up being laughed at. Its a confidence thing.
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vauxylady
    what a shame i`m not going to trax we could of had a bit of a convo i`m a bit rusty but i know sign language my kids can all sign their names and know the alphabet
    Wow that's great but yeah its a shame u aint coming, maybe next time - i love kids who know sign language - i really do think knowing sign language is a good skill to have. we can sign across the room, or through the glass, or in a club (although lighting is a bit of a problem in these areas) etc etc instead of shouting

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxy
    LOL thanks!

Thats always been something thats worried me, attempting to sign and making a complete mess of it and wound up being laughed at. Its a confidence thing.
    trust me i will help u if ur wrong and dont worry about the confidence thing, my mum used to teach BSL (now retired) so have met so many ppl who think like that... they usually find we're actually helpful... i always say that to ppl, but that's our sense of humour.... i really dont care if you make mistakes, no one is perfect at all in sign language, its really hard (well not for me but for u)

I was actually born hearing, became deaf by contracting meningitis at the age of 15-18months but i ahve deaf parents and 2 deaf boys...so BSL was my first language, English 2nd....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast