Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like its gonna be a new exhaust!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Looks like its gonna be a new exhaust!

Driving along yesterday, i had the windows down and i could hear this rattling and thought what the hell can that be. So had quick look under the car when i got to Halfarts and couldnt see nothing dangling from the car underneath, so i thought nothing more of it and didnt hear it again until i was parking in my driveway, got out with the car still runnning , had look at the back of the car and found that the outer casing of the back box was hangin down and bangin against the back box itslef. It had rotted at the joint, fortunately the back box itself is still ok at the moment, but it looks like i gonna have to be looking for a new jobbie very soon.

I would really like a full system but dont have that sort of budget for it at the moment, so will only want to get a backbox, but not a standard one, so is it ok to fit a decent backbox to the existing standard piping, wouldnt need to upgrade all of that aswell would i? there isnt no defects to the rest of the exhaust.
    1.9CDTi (150) SRi XP Sportshatch
    Heated Leather Seats - Cruise Control - Climate Control - 18" Pentas - Auto Light & Sight - Electrical Folding Mirrors - Sat Nav

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Mine has gien up the ghost today as well, blowing like a hooker it is.
    Sportex make reasonably cheep full sytems not much more than back box

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Read somewhere that Sportex dont last that long?

Was thinking of perhaps a Magnex or Remus box.
    Heated Leather Seats - Cruise Control - Climate Control - 18" Pentas - Auto Light & Sight - Electrical Folding Mirrors - Sat Nav

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine lasted just over a year. Had to replace it a few weeks back as the pipe from the backbox had rusted so bad, it broke in two..........

Just be carefull.

I might have an ashley backbox for sale, twin 3", only 3 weeks old as I`ve just bought a centre exit exhaust.
    MK4 Golf 1.8T, Euro Style

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Must be something in the air - the exhaust on my coupe has just started to give up - the car sounds like i'm dragging tin cans behind me, a bit like a car leaving a church with a newly married couple in it!!

Not sure whether its the baffles going or a loose fitting but I'm on the lookout for a new system and so far (from reading these boards) it seems Milltek systems are the best bet, or a custom build.

Status
    Cameron Ginger Diaz
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Might know where there are a couple of 888 Milltek backboxes for sale.....

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just back boxes or systems as well??

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I heard that if I replaced my mk4 ..(8v ) with a nice twin 3" or something it would lose power, something about a thin exhaust pipe was needed for pressure? Is this true? If so what would be a good exhaust that looked the biz as well as sounding nice (not a nova or saxo fart that breaks windows but something with a nice subtle growl).

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah I heard that my coupe 1.8 would not work with a turbo coupe exhaust (most upsetting as I saw a nice blueflame one on ebay) because of NA engined cars needing back pressure

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah thats correct that exhausts for turbos arnt compatible for non turbos, shame tho as there are a few nice ones ive found but they only for turbos!!!

Shev, im assuming the 888 Milteks are only for turbos too? Dont they have '888' engraved in too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast