Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)

Coupe boot build from start to now 56k beware

I thought Iíd write a step by step guide for those who interested in how my boot got to this

First of all we build the sub box that sits behind the passenger side light and in the recess there so using maximum space. All of the rubber luggage straps were removed and the area was covered in tape that the first two layers of fibreglass matting and resin will be laid on. The tape is there so that hopefully once itís all gone hard we will be able to separate it easy enough

Here we now have 2 layers of fibreglass on the tape and you can see it taking shape

Next it was removed while still slightly flexiable and then built up with at least three more layers so we ended up with this

The box was then tried in the boot again to make sure it still fits the the sub was offered up and the wooden front it sits on was fibre glassed onto the front of the box just with P40 for now. As you can see everything is so tight that first of all the sub hit the back of the box there for we have had to attach a second piece of MDF to give us the clearance we need

The box back in the boot again checking for fitment and clearance, really taking shape now

We next taped it up again to get the shape of where the spring goes and where to boot hinge travels. Must have forgotten to take pictures of that though

Anyway once that was done and yet more fibreglass was added we have the box just about finished. These two pictures show just how all space is utilised

Especially on the side view

Next the side was built up so that it flushes into the boot sides more and its all smoothed down and tried one last time before itís covered to make sure it fits

Here it is now covered and a photo is taken from above to show how little it protrudes into the boot itself

Next we started building the rack for the amps on the right hand side with the power cap sitting neatly behind them making use of space again. The racks are secures in 3 places with metal bars, two mounting places are to where the seat backs are and one is behind the back light

A cover is now made for these amps so that the flush in. Later the cover will be made to flush into the sides all around. This was the most difficult part of the install and I mainly left my mate to it while I did the wiring

The amp on the left hand side is mounted in the same way to behind the seat back and the fuse distribution block is mounted above it and at an angle with another metal bracket. This side will have the same sort of cover as the other side but as yet is now finished

Wiring now and getting the 4 gauge wire from front to back. For this I chose to drill a hole behind the glove box so I could have a straight run on the wire. Here it shows where to hole was drilled and as you can see I have primered the hole already

A view from outside to show where the wire comes out. A grommet has also been put in now

To get the wire form front to back I choose to remove the side panel which involved unbolting the seat and having one person lift it up while another removed the panel. A little tricky but for the best. As you can see I could the run the wire in the factory location. A speaker wire for the N/S/F was also run down this side but separate to the power cable

Here it is still following the factory wiring loom and as you can see the N/S/R speaker wire has been run out the hole ready to go to the amps

To get the wires into the doors I choose to drill holes as my car has side airbags and there for no spare holes. I think I did quite a good job at this. There are 2 sets of speaker wire running into the door as I have mounted the crossovers in the car

Final picture now showing MB Quarts speakers mounted in Corsa Autoleads pods. I will probably do this better later on and add sound deadening when I have the time Iím just a little concerned about the airbag sensor in the big hole to the right of the speaker

Loads more pictures and obviously a lot I havenít taken but I wonít bore you anymore. Any question?

Andy
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    That is a mighty fine step by step mate, I think you need to show me another guide on mine this time
    Astra Sri Turbo

CS4 276BHP/325lbft

LMF Vauxhall - 01858 433599

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Top job mate.. Looked good at kent show.
    R.I.P - 08.05.06 CLICK My Astra
    BMW M3 Evo

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Add d dave on Facebook
    Good guide Andy
    Scottish Member? Have a peep at our Region For tints or wraps Click Here!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    had not seen your new boot build till now and I like it a lot. Very Stealthy and making excellent use of the wasted space in the boot. Very nice step by step guide as well, perhaps make it a how to guide for addition with all the rest.

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Great pics..

Did you measure the volume of the sub enclosure at all ?

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M40COO

Did you measure the volume of the sub enclosure at all ?
    Yes we did..........

It's a bit on the small side (0.1 cubic feet) but once it was made we figured we would just see how it sounded. We have a plan if it needs to be made bigger

Quote Originally Posted by BasilD
    perhaps make it a how to guide for addition with all the rest.
    I never thought of that maybe I had better PM you about it
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    very nice andy...

you should trim the back of the seats in the same material though imo (i know the flash probably exaggerates the difference greatly, but a job fro when you're bored perhaps

really nice though - i need to get around to sorting out my boot at some point i suppose!
    My car - Rusty Custom Creations Inc....

The only natural pilots are born with feathers.... except me.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Yeah seat back will be done along with the panel as you go into the boot, more on the left hand side and some finishing off on the roof. Waiting for more carpet though

Still got another weekend on it

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I posted everything that was done to it and what needs finishing in this thread

http://www.m1gst.com/vb/showthread.php?t=43363

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast