Thread: A Bit more advice please :)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A Bit more advice please :)

Well I've pretty much decided on a mk4 astra for my next car, I posted on here a week or so ago asking about the specs of the SXis, sports and Elegances etc and after a lot of searching on this forum; I've pretty much narrowed my choice down to either a 1.6 SXi or a 1.8 sport.
    I'll be 19 when I come round to buying the car, and ive just recieved my proof of 1 years NCB.
    I'll be using the car to get to work, (about 40 miles away - all A roads and dual carraigeways).
    So I now need to decide on the tradeoff between performance and comfort. Im a big fan of interiors and gadgets in the cabin, but then I enjoy to put my foot down occasionally on the motorway etc.

So.. I know its down to personal preference, but I need your advice as to what to sacrifice, performance or comfort. My renewal qoute for my 1.0 12v Corsa is Ł750 and around 900 - 1050 for the astras in question.

What do you reckon?

Cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd go for the newer 1.6. The 1.8 sport is probably older, and will most likely have the 115hp X18XE1. For the extra insurance, the 10hp over the 1.6 SXi isn't worth it I'd say.

The 1.6 16v is a cracking wee engine, as it's lighter and seems to rev more freely than the 1.8.

Anything will be quick compared to the strimmer engined Corsa you have now - I 'm just getting rid of my 1.2 Corsa, and it wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok cheers, Im not gonna get niggly over a few bhp (which i probably wont notice coming from a 55bhp corsa!) but how do the Astras react to a few simply induction/exhuast mods? If its anything like a corsa an induction kit will make me go slower and sound like a pr**k , I just want to know what my options are, and if ill regret going for the 1.6 due to cheaper insurance in the way of 15quid a month.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    theres more tuning potential for the 1.6 than the 1.8

I have the 1.8 sport with X18 engine and my dads got a newer 1.6 SXi with the Z16 and altho 10bhp doesnt sound a lot I do notice the power difference when jumping in and out of of both of them. Also, I dont know if its just the old mans car but he's got a ROTTEN flat spot at about 1500RPM ish - makes the car kangaroo and all sorts. it does rev up nicely though after that.
    Pete
    Any info on V6 MK4 conversions greatly appreciated!
    ----x--Petey--x----

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    go for the 1.6 SXI, absolutly the best one out there, apart form maby the new VXR but ill decide that after i drive one, wouldnt trade it in for anything!!!

Status
    "Choking his Monkey"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ahh glad to see another "youngen" after a 1.6 SXi.

I too am 18 now (19 in a few months) and am after a 1.6 SXi, however its my first car. Ive been driving my mums car for 8 months now so wont get any discount for another 4 months, but thats too long as I need a car for college.

Can I just ask which insure you got the quote with?

I had an offer from quinn-direct for 1,700 for TPF or 2500 full comp.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1.8 sport, my mates got the 1.6 and mine is faster by far, as being larger capacity, torgue figure for the 1.8 are better, and fitting a dblias inlet manifold gives 32BHP!!!! i cant knock mine, and after my mates been in mine, even thou slightly older, he wishes he had saved over Ł2000 and brought a 1.8 sport!! insurance for me, 19 and 1 NCB is Ł1050, and i was quoted at the same time Ł980 on a 1.6 SXi, your choice

MK4 1.8 16V Sport and MK5 CDTi Estate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Firstly the spec on a 1.6 is not as good as the 1.8 version. 1.8 get ABS as standard usually, discs all round look much better when you start putting big alloys on it later.

Secondly it's a known fact that the 1.6 16v has some engine problems, oil burning in particular. Lots of people report what seems excessive amounts burned only to be told that it's nothing to worry about. Oils expensive and I don't want to be burning more than I have to.

Thirdly the 1.6 is NOT as quick as the 1.8, horsepower figures don't lie.

Forthly, although the tuning potential of the 1.6 is better admitedly than the 1.8 it has further to go before it even draws level. What do you think is cheaper to insure, a standard 1.8 or a tuned 1.6

If you can afford the extra buy the 1.8, you'll only wish you had later as you'll just adapt to the increased BHP and in 6 months time you'll be wanting more as you'll be bored with what you already have, it's just human nature.

All down to choice, if the right 1.6 comes along at the right price, buy it. It's a good car with few faults. If you can afford to wait for the "right" motor than look harder toward the 1.8 end than the 1.6. This time next year you'll be asking about turbos
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i was in the same sort of pridiciment about 6 months ago except i was looking at a 1.8 or a 2.0,
    im 19 with 0 ncb and went for the 1.8, its a very good engine, i never drove the older X18XE1's (115bhp) but love me Z18XE (123bhp) i went from a 1.8i cavalier and the difference is amazing,
    at the end of the day it all omes down to what u want and what you can afford, but personally i would go for the larger engine or you'll only regret it,

i half regret not getting the 2.0 myslef but the extra Ł200 a year insurance and having being told that the 1.8 is quicker to 60 put me off,
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how much are dblias inlet manifolds for the 1.8 btw?
    Drives: 1999 Astra 1.8 16v Sport 120bhp!!! (est)

(\__/)
    (='
    .'=)
    This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny intoyour signature to
    (")_(")help him gain worlddomination.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast