Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Please Please Help!!! Mk4 1.4 16v

1999 1.4 16v 72k mileage.

My car has got very slow when it comes to acceleration. Put my foot on the pedal and nothing, well it really does take it's time. I change gears between 2500-3000rpm's. But 5th is very slow to accelerate from 45mph - .
    I got the timing belt changed two weeks ago and it was flying after it and now its got slow again.

I am living in Ireland where the roads are crap, no motorways or daul carriages, so my average driving speed is 50mph. I do a bit of motorway driviging into Dublin for evening classes so thats 75-80mph for a straight hour.

On cold morning starts there is a smell of petrol when i drive off and i hint of coolant. I had the head Gasket changed at 58k back in Jan 05.

I get the car serviced regularly like clockwork about every 6-8k. The car was serviced at the end of May 05 about 4k miles ago.

Should i just bring it back to my local Opel Garage and tell them the above and let them fix it or is it old age and mileage.

I wish i was a mechanic.....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Check under the passenger side sill - the fuel filter is under there, just infront of the back wheel. Check it's secure, and that there's no leaks around it.

Also check it to see if it looks like it's been replaced recently. If it hasn't been replaced recently then it could be fairly well blocked and leading to fuel starvation.

Fuel filter looks like a small aluminium can with two pipes on it, one at each end. If the filter looks clean then it's probably fairly new. If not, your garage hasn't been doing the services properly.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry i forgot to say that, the fuel filter was changed in May 05 at the last service since then i have gone from 290 m to 350 m to a full tank.

I had a little read around about throttle bodies getting dirty and this reduces acceleration, is this write.

One more thing i went to clean out the air intake pipe of bugs and dirt and de restrict the air box but i couldnt get the itake pipe off. I got it undone ok but getting it away from the raditor and that is not happening so i stuck it back on.

This car is really good so i wanna keep it in prime condition.

Thanks for any help all help welcomed please