Thread: Ok...so I need some advice

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry Ok...so I need some advice

As some of you may remember my G began running on 3 a couple of months ago. Since then I have been through 3 coil packs, 198764986 sets of spark plugs and £350 of bills from Vaux to "repair" the problem.

Last Monday I took it back to Vaux in Oldham as the problem had once again appeared. After they shoved it on Tech2 again this time they have decided that the engine ECU is knackered and a new one is required as "Spark plug Timing eproms are missing", I can give the fault code when I find the receipt, which to me sounds like a load of bollocks. Surely if these settings had wiped off the ECU it would be a permanant problem and not an intermittant thing that is cured with a coil pack change...

Anyway they said it would cost me another £685 to replace and fit the new ECU but after an arguement over me already paying them £350 to "fix" the problem and obviously them not holding up their side of the bargain they have offered to give me a 10% discount off the labour of the job .

Soooooo my questions are: -

Should I go with the above?

Should I tell them to go jump and complain to Vaux HQ and trading standards, leaving me with a knackered car?

Orrrrrrrr should I just get a new engine and drop it in which will probably be cheaper?

Any ideas or advice will be gratefully received.

Ta

Sy

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i would contact VX HQ see what they have to say if u have no luck then try traiding standards. or go down the new engine route but they should be nocking £350 not 10% they have a 6 month sort of contract thing or something Tradeing standards will know more bit its what i used on Dixon motors after they put the wrong gearbox in my coupé and i ended up getting it all sorted for free under waranty when the diff shatter into 2 peices. so dont just give in to them

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Defo speak to VX HQ - they were very good when a dealer had my car in three times to fix a "fault" I never had in the first place.

Luckily the dealer fixed the fault that wasn't there by not doing any work on it. All very surreal

VQ HQ - 01581 427200

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Sy get on that phone now.

Vauxhall Customer services - 01582 427 200

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Awesome cheers guys

I shall get on to them first thing in the morning. But I think I may also start hunting for a new engine whilst I'm at it...shame I always thought I'd be putting a C20 LET in when I did a conversion on my car...not replacing a X16 XEL for another X16 XEL

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Sy i wouldn't even consider an engine swap. It can lead to alot of problems just to get it running.

When ringing Vauxhall, be polite but firm.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    defo speak to Vaux HQ first mate

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Give them a bell now - you've still got 1½ hours.

As Keif said be firm and polite and tell them the history of what's happened - step by step. They really are very good at getting things sorted.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok...well maybe not now only because I'm currently searching for one of the receipts lol...which I know is in this room. So as soon as I find that I shall be on the phone being firm but polite

Keif what sort of problems mate? I was just thinking it would be a straight swap as long as the engine came out of a Mk4 along with loom, ecu etc etc etc.

Anywho back to the search lol

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have that same engine in mine. Believe i'm having the same problem you are, it's starts with a little cough then eventually sounds like its running on three cylinders. Change the plugs and it's gone, for a few weeks anyway. But no faults show up on tech 2.

Let us know how you get on please ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast