Thread: Astra in need of help?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra in need of help?

I have a 1999 1.4 ecotec Astra Club model and i have the following problems, can anyone help please? This is a great car so i want to get it fixed hopefully.

1. Loss of power - There is none. It takes a long time for it to build up speed (0-60 in 22secs from stading start, as if at traffic lights). I put my foot on the pedal hard and nothing happens and i lift off and nothing happens, it'll go at it's own pace seemingly but it was very nippy about two months ago. Power is better once i get to 2800-3000rpm's.

In the 0-60 time i changed up at 4000rpm's.

Car is serviced regularly by Opel Dealer. And timing belt is being changed next week (71K).

2. Brakes - I bought the car in July 2004 and the first thing i noticed about the brakes is how solid they where. A little tip on the pedal and it would stop.
    Now you really have to dig into the pedal and even then it takes time to stop.
    Brake pads changed in May 2005.

3. Whistling noise coming from exhaust at exactly 2000rpm. I am putting that down to the exhaust. Is a sports exhaust worth while for this car?

4. The gear stick is starting to shake a bit (Gear Linkage?) and i notice there one evening after arriving home from work that the drivers door was shaking when i was getting out. (5 Dr h/b). I know 3 cylinders shake, please god its not running on 3 cylinders. How would you find out?

Everything is bog standard no mods sadly.

Thank you for any advise.

Rosco83
    Hey there...

you sure you have loss of power? you wont really get a good 0-60 time if you change at 4000 rpm, you really do have to give it some welly to get good times, especially in 16 valve. where as with an 8 valve you should change sooner..... so for that i'd say you have drive it harder to see that change..... maybe 5500-6000rpm?? My 1.6 8 valve mk4 has been timed at just over 10 seconds. thats with stainless exhaust, derestricted airbox & k&n.... i was put against a 1.4 16v and they are close. But they are good engines and you should see a decent increase in performance if you drive it a bit harder mate.

I'd say go for new discs & pads and bleed your brakes, sounds like there not working to there fullest. Even try bleed them first then maybe get new ones if that doesnt work.

As for running on three cylinders... you should hear it... it will probably sound like a subaru impreza turbo or another boxer engine.... sounds ok but thats not what its meant to do lol. If it does that at start up i'd say you maybe have a blown head gasket, and that could also lead to bad performance, fuel consumption... is the car losing water? do you have mayo type stuff under the oil cap?

A sports exhaust is up to you, you can choose the look, sound.. and if you buy stainless you wont need another exhaust again will you?

Dunno if this is decent advice but its a start.

P.S sorry for any spelling mistakes, im in the middle of fixing my pc :P

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply.

I had the head gasket changed at 61k, there's no oil leak and the water level coolant level is pretty constant. I tried a 0-60 yesterday and got it down from 22 secs to 15 secs a big improvement.

My mate just received delievery of a new 1.4 Astra yesterday and he let me take it for a spin. O my god, what a great car even better than the mk4. Real solid and good performance for a 1.4. Makes my look very very slow.

I am going to de restrict the air box and change the air intake pipe to that of the Vectra deisel and get the k&n filter as well if i can find one for a 1.4.
    Also going to get a sensor looked at that could be causing a carbon build up at the throttle body. And get the throttle body cleaned out.

As for the breaks, have to get the bleed to see if that will make a difference.

Rosco83
    Well good luck and i hope you get evrything sorted that you think needs doing, ive got a few wee things that i need to sort out, just money permitting just now. I think you could get it down to about 10-12 seconds mate.... but its not really important, is it? i think its how well it runs first. so yeah.. good idea to clean the throttle body out and you can get a k&n panel filter no problem. most of them are the same fitment, 1.4 - 2.0 litre etc. But check all hoses & air pipes for leaks, and blockages. It could be something simple....like a huge big bit of wildlife stuck somewhere lol. its all about taking your time & checking it all as you go along.

If i were you i would get your timing checked, and check the plugs & plug leads. you dont want to spend money untill you check things first. Maybe even take it to get a tech 2 system plugged in? Ive had a shot of a 1.4 16v mk4 astra and i liked it.... im used to 8 valve engines tho, with having old mk2 astra & still have my 8 valve cavalier. Next car will be 16v or more tho.

And just a good word of advice.... get yourself a haynes bible, i mean haynes manual... that will help you out loads.

Good luck