Thread: Brakes Juddery

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Brakes Juddery

For a while now when i brake theres a judder coming through the pedal. Nothing serious just now noticable. Do i need new discs or pads?

Also, when i stop at the lights and im on a slight increment, if i stop, i roll back a little bit but if i drive about half a wheel forward then the car will stop with out me braking. Sorry if its a bit confusing but its hard to explain

cheers in advance.

Status
    Princess Oompa loompa!
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Could be any number of things! sticky rear caliper coulkd be the 'stop without me braking' problem.

The judder could be contributed to a sticking caliper as well. after a longish/fast journey do you smell burning brakes?

Also check your brake fluid level. and check for leakages around the brake system - my car failed its MOT due to a leaking pipe on the caliper. Brake fluid is corrosive so watch your paintwork/hands/eyes etc.

Easiest way to check if you need new brakes is to whip the wheels off and have a goosy gander! Then you will know for sure!

Thinking about it - do you have ABS? is the judder like the ABS coming on? could be a dodgy sensor?

Remember if you do need new brakes - replace them in PAIRS! (fronts only or backs only) or all corners at once. Also change the fluid at the same time as brake fluid is Hdryosophic (sp?) - basically over the years it absorbs moisture and contributes to a spongy pedal feel.

Let me know what ya find!

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Do all of the above, and while you've got the wheels off have a check to see if any of the discs are warped, as this sound very likely for what you've described

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it could be warped discs causing the juddery break pedal, does it get worse the harder you break?

MK4 1.8 16V Sport and MK5 CDTi Estate

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers guys tons of help. I recently got the brake lines changed for the mot at a garage i know so this could be the fault. Has happened gradually since i got this done. Ill hand it into the guy tomorrow for him to have gander. If not then im off Thursday/Friday and ill go have a look during the day.

No smell of burning brakes. I had a sticky caliper about 3 or 4 month ago and got a new stuck on there so i know the smell you mean. I check for the heat of the wheels after journeys and the front wheels are warm but nothing like before when the caliper was sticking.

And no i dont have ABS

Cheers again.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pardoe16V
    it could be warped discs causing the juddery break pedal, does it get worse the harder you break?
    Yes gets more noticable. If your driving next to a wall and brake you can hear a "whooosh whooosh whooosh" kinda sound (if you know what i mean )

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Try a slow roll with the window down and listen for a rhythmic "fuuufff fuuufff" - sure sign of a warped disc catching on the pads. You may need a 'skilled' passenger to do the nearside listening

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg
    Try a slow roll with the window down and listen for a rhythmic "fuuufff fuuufff" - sure sign of a warped disc catching on the pads. You may need a 'skilled' passenger to do the nearside listening
    Thats the sound. Right new discs it is tomorrow. Once again Astra Sports extremelly helpfull members to the rescue

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Go to a dealer and ask for a disc/pad set - they are super cheap and much cheaper then buying the parts individually.

Unless you've got something none standard of course

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    let us know if you solve it mate

MK4 1.8 16V Sport and MK5 CDTi Estate

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast