Thread: Custom Remaps - The Good, Bad & Ugly

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Custom Remaps - The Good, Bad & Ugly

I'm just after as much feed back from you guys on Custom Re-maps, good experiences, bad experiences and things to look out for etc etc

I'm looking around to re-map the car (Z20LET) really just to make the car more driveable, I will only be going for a Phase 1 re-map although I do have a full Milltek & Pre-Cat + derestricted air box.

I DO NOT want to run the risk of putting excessive stress on the engine and components, and want to continue with carefree motoring my astra had provided for me fot the last 12/18 months.

thanks

Lee

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Any remap will put extra stress on the engine, simple. Your best bet is to do a search as you will get slanted views from people on whats best and whats not - all it does is confuse it all over again !

Status
    Turbo Jizz Golfer !
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordNikon
    Any remap will put extra stress on the engine, simple. Your best bet is to do a search as you will get slanted views from people on whats best and whats not - all it does is confuse it all over again !
    Yup, this debate has been on here so many times and sometimes it does turn into a rather heated debate too.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Heres my opinion:

1. AMD - once the gods of remapping, and the only ones to map bespoke to your mods, but now very poor customer service due to a few key personal leaving. Getting better though again by all accounts.

2. EDS (Regal & Cossvaux) - very good German based map, but generic, not bespoke to your mods and car. Very good results acheived though - but would not trust either tuner with mechanical work (i.e. hybrid turbo)

3. Courtenay - Long established experience in tuning Vx's. Used to use Mantzel generic map, but now use a RICA based bespoke map. This is bespoke to your mods and your car. Long experience in mechanical work and good rep. hence my/our choice. They also now do a progressive map and a 'high torque' map, the later for a more 'kick in the back' type delivery in response to the EDS map.

Good and bad can be heard from all, but we were swayed by the experience and back-up that Courtenay offer.

All the above is just my opinion, but mainly based on experience and talking at length to the tuners concerned.
    Tomorrow is D-day so we'll see!!

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    ALL companies and I mean ALL have got there bad points some you hear about some you dont.

If it was me I would use Regal or Courtenay - and out of the two I would choice the one that is cloest to me as its nearer to get to if there is a problem, because all tuners dont seem to like the phone once the money has changed hands
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I choose Regal due to me living several miles away BUT it was also down to the how i wnated my car to drive. As Scott has said Courtney have made a map to be more like the EDS map due to the EDS map being highly rated. The EDS map has never caused any problems with my car and i am very happy with it.

However, Mat's comments are very true. Only a few people on here would consider a long drive for a remap 'just incase' anything ever went wrong.

Please also note that you'll probably find in your searches talk about the AFM but please note that these are not strong as standard and therefore coincidence or not these go when they feel like it.
    (Previously owned a SRi-Turbo Phase III.5 running 290bhp 370ibft
    AUDI Sales Executive

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just been looking at AMD as they're closest to me but it seems like they're not dealing with Vauxhalls anymore as its no longer on their website ???

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tay
    Just been looking at AMD as they're closest to me but it seems like they're not dealing with Vauxhalls anymore as its no longer on their website ???
    they are still doing remaps at amd mines off in next friday for my ecu reflashing ,the best person i have found to talk to is adam