Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Steering

Hi,

Ive got a 2001 astra 2.2 SRi which seems to have one annoying problem. When turning the steering wheel i get a high pitch squeel or squeak which can come and go and be of differing volumes though at the moment it seems to always be here. The noise is only there when the engine is running and sounds like its coming from where the steering colum is going through the drivers footwell. I tried spraying silicon spray down there but didnt help. Have taken it to vx and they changed the air bag contact spring but that hasnt helped. Im sure that if something was rubbing it would be there even if the engine wasnt on. Has anyone got any ideas on this becasue it is starting to annoy!

Cheers, Rich.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    i would but my money on the steering rack being the prob if you have to pay for this your self its going to be a lot as the sub frame has to be dropped out

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ah, i had a feeling that someone might say that, it had crossed my mind. Got it booked in with vx again next thurs so will have to wait and see. Thanks for the reply though.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    can you keep us all posted on this m8, i have the same problem but i cannot seem to find out where the noise is coming from. I thought it was the wheels or bearing etc.

cheers

Andty

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no problem, its been bugging me for a while now. Ill let you all know what vx say next thurs. Hopefully it wont be the rack but i bet it ends up being that way, and of course no warrenty so could end up being very expensive.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    dont get it dont in vauxhalls get if fitted at a diff place

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine squeaks sometimes but only seems to do it after I've driven somewhere and it's involved turning the wheel. If you find out what it is, I might take mine into VXL and get it done under the NetworkQ warranty.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vx had no idea what the problem was so they put my airbag contact ring back in and that was that. Noise is still there. Tonite it started to get very loud so thought id have a look. There seems to be air in the system as there are air bubbles appaering in the bottle, im sure this shouldnt be. Any ideas? Ive tried bleeding it accoring to haynes by turning from lock to lock a few times but still air and still the noise. Cheers.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    also anyone know how to drain the pas system, thought i might try renewing the fluid.