Thread: powering dvd player and sunvisor screens

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

powering dvd player and sunvisor screens

how can i power a dvd player that will be plugged into my dvd player as an aux.
    it will be placed into the 2nd din slot and has got a wiring loom the same as a cd player.

do i just need to plug the wiring loom into the dvd player and only wire up the power wires either to the other wiring loom or to the battery?

also i have got 2 sunvisors with in-built screens in them and i was wondering how to power these when they are linked upto the dvd player?

they have a plug on the end of a power cable that is like a phono cable. where can i plug this to or do i have to wire it to the battery aswell?

Thanks in advance, Andy

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Andy again ! ...( home from work and had my tea ! )

Right, the phono plug type on the sun-screens is yellow, and is the input for a video signal. (like an rca)

The power.
    Ideally, you only want power to the screens when the DVD player is on.
    The screens may have an auto power on, when they receive a signal, or manual on/off buttons. (Did you get and read the manual ?? )

DVD Player power.
    You should really have a power supply that switches on with the ignition.
    So you could take a feed off the accessory power from the HU.
    Alternatively have a seperate permanent feed from the battery with a swith and an in-line fuse. Then you can switch it on/off when you want.
    If you do that, then best to take the feed for powering the screens from the same source.

hope that helps

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    right.............

the screens need to be turned on with the power on/off button and dont come on automatically.

they have a red plug which is video 2 (reversing camera- not needed), black plug (additional aerial - not needed) yellow and white plugs (Video input?) black plug 12V power supply.

i have had a look and i cant think of anywhere for this black plug to actually plug into.

these wires and plugs are the same for both screens.

would it be safe to cut the plug of the end of the 12v power one and connect it to the battery with an in-line fuse in it?

or is there another way?

DVD player -

so i should plug the wiring loom that came with the dvd player into the back of it and only connect the the positive, ground and memory wires up and leave the others disconnected?

Sorry for the long post just dont want to blow myself or the car up.

Thanks, Andy

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacklin2001
    right.............

the screens need to be turned on with the power on/off button and dont come on automatically.

they have a red plug which is video 2 (reversing camera- not needed), black plug (additional aerial - not needed) yellow and white plugs (Video input?) black plug 12V power supply.

i have had a look and i cant think of anywhere for this black plug to actually plug into.

these wires and plugs are the same for both screens.

would it be safe to cut the plug of the end of the 12v power one and connect it to the battery with an in-line fuse in it?

or is there another way?

DVD player -

so i should plug the wiring loom that came with the dvd player into the back of it and only connect the the positive, ground and memory wires up and leave the others disconnected?

Sorry for the long post just dont want to blow myself or the car up.

Thanks, Andy

Screens.
    Black Aerial plug would be for screens with in built TV tuner - so dont worry about that.
    Power, I presume it's maybe a cigarette socket plug thingy...if so then yes you can chop it off and hard wire it with a fuse. (check what fuse is in the ciggy plug thing for the size).
    You should be okay to wire the two screens together (2 power wires to 1 source)
    Video inputs...the red one and the yellow one accept video in (if you ever want to add a camera), the white one is the sound (your screens probably have an in built speaker)...since your going through HU, you dont need to connect that.

DVD Player.
    Yes, you've got it...thats what I would do. the other wires would be to speakers etc...since your going through HU, they dont need to be connected.

Phew !
    .....Just make sure your connections are insulated, secure, and fused.
    ...and try it all just sitting in the car before you install it..nothing worse than having to take it all out again !

All the best to you !

Oh, extra reassurance....Andy can you confirm these instructions !!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    screens have in-built tv tuner but i been told i wont have to connect the aerial into it because its got one in it already and the aerial's i got are just incase i need to get better signal.

the power for the screens you can plug in a cigarette lighter plug to go into the lighter socket, so when i have a look tomorrow then ill see if i can hard wire them into the back of the socket. i didnt think of that before!!!!! thanks.

ill see about the power tomorrow mornin and wait for the connector to go from the cd player to the dvd player to come throught the post.

one last thing!

have you got any idea how to screw my sunvisors in where the standard vauxhall ones just clip in?

i am having problems with it cos i cant find anythin to use to get it to screw in. i have tried that putty stuff taht dries hard so you can drill and screw into it but that wouldnt work cos it doesnt dry hard enough. i have been thinkin of puttin a thin piece of metal over the hole between the roof lining and the roof metal and screwing through it. but that would ideally be last resort.

Thanks, Andy

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure about the fixing of the sunvisors....

I take it that you mean they are hinged only...and dont swivel like the originals.
    And you're trying to secure them to the clip bit. Is there room to use a 'U' shaped washer/bracket thing that a self tapper screws into.

Cant find a pic of one at the moment...